Skip to main content
Topic: Getting Piano.exe to work with NWC (Read 4646 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting Piano.exe to work with NWC

Further to Message #1054, marsu's reply no. 13, and Fred Bachbaur's exuberant reply, about using piano.exe for keyboard entry of music in NWC:
I'm running Windows 98 second edition,
am registered user of NWC 1.55b,
using Creative Vibra 128 soud card,
downloaded piano21.zip(version 2.1) and had it self-extract.
Now how do I get it to work with NWC?
I get lost at the point where the driver has to be installed - sorry Marsu, but I do not understand your, nor the author's instructions.
Fred, can you please help?

Re: Getting Piano.exe to work with NWC

Reply #1
Sorry, Haymo, I don't have Win98. For Win95, I simply right-clicked on the oemsetup.inf file, selected Install, and that was that. Double-click the .exe and away it goes.

Reply #2
Hello Haymo,

To add the Piano driver to Win98, go to Add New Hardware in the control panel.

Click "next" until you are asked whether the new hardware is in the list, then choose "no". (Or, if no new hardware was already found on your system, you will be asked if you want to search for it. You don't.) Whatever is presented, don't search your system, just get straight to the bit about
choosing hardware from a list. (Depends on what's on your system as to what screens will be presented to you.)

Once you have the list, scroll down the category list to "Sound, video and game controllers" and click "next". Now you will be able to use "have disk" button and go find your Piano driver. It should install without issue.

Hope this helps,

Sue

Reply #3
Thank you, Fred and Sue.
Fred, your instructions seemed to work, and
Sue your instructions worked beautifully,
Piano is installed on my computer.

But, please help a dunce who has never used MIDI input:
Please spell out, step by step, how to use PIANO and how does one get notes played in Piano to register in NWC?

Since posting my first request for help, I've upgraded to NWC 1.70 b2h and I'm very happy to be able to force a system break. My thanks to the development team.

Reply #4
für elise

Reply #5
Happy to hear your success story with Win 95 and 98. But the existing piano21 installer does not work with XP, and possibly not for NT or 2000 either. I intend to look into this (when I get a chance) by seeing how the oemsetup,inf compares to another "legacy" driver I have, that did install successfully in XP.

Reply #6
Well... I tried every trick I knew (not being a programmer) to make the piano21 installation file "look like" the installation file for a successful legacy driver on XP. But the hardware installer insists that it can't find the driver file. So I am defeated on this one. Would anyone better informed like to try?

Reply #7
I love piano