Skip to main content
Topic: Using record feature to key-in parts (Read 2283 times) previous topic - next topic

Using record feature to key-in parts

As relatively new user, I will appreciate help using the "record" feature to key-in single line parts (i.e. 2nd trombone, etc) from midi keyboard. After entering bass line, I want to "record" single parts from midi keyboard; 3rd trombone entered OK in bass clef but 2nd trombone part was "recorded" in treble clef. Questions - how do I force part to be entered in appropriate clef? or how do I transpose treble clef to bass clef? I have chosen destination to be to "record group" rather than "new window" or "buffer" Any/all suggestions appreciated. Bill

Re: Using record feature to key-in parts

Reply #1
It makes the clef determination for you, based on the range of notes you've played. I just piddled around with this, and if your part spans a wide range it will automatically generate multiple staffs in different clefs.

If it picks the wrong clef (which it seems to always do for trombone range parts) your only option is to change the clef manually. Page 21 of the manual.

FWIW Noteworthy also shares this problem when importing trombone-range parts from MIDI files.

Reply #2
Unfortunately there's no way any program can know from a midi file what clef to use, since clefs are not specified in midi (though time signatures are, and key signatures are optional; some programs, e.g. Cubasis, don't even export these).

Reply #3
The only way I found to ensure the use of the bass clef was to play such music an octave lower on the midi keyboard, then tranpsoe up an octave in Notewaorthy - quite a quick operation.