lip
tutti
jazz shortcuts
crossing clefs with beams (eg. Debussy)
percussion note heads (also triangles)
chord slashes for guitar parts
lute tabs
fingering (piano and strings)
double stop detect (also parallel fifths)
portamento (very important)
jete
trills (why is there no trills?)
arco
pizz
very slow vibrato marking (very common)

I found some others in my work, I will tell you when I would like these. When these are done your program will be good.

Dr George Libber, PhD (mus)

Re: What I need...

Reply #1
I would like some of those things, especially quarter-tones and percussion notes, too! But you have listed some things that are already part of Noteworthy Composer.

For example, triplets even have their own icon on one of the tool bars. It's a little "3" symbol between the "bar" and "grace note" icons.

You can insert crescendos and dimmuendos under "Insert/dynamic variance."

I'm sure other people will come up with other features I have overlooked.

Angelique

Reply #2
In the future it would be appreciated if you posted your comments either to the newsgroup or to the forum, not both.

Reply #3
Do you make the rules here Fred?

Reply #4
Obviously some of you who replied in the newsgroup did not understand that the guy is asking for notation not effects stuff to play out his midi.

chord splitting
Very useful when recording a harmonies to be split into strings or brass.

triplets
It does do triplets.

glissando
Yes this marking would be nice.

crescendos
as above.

handwritten fonts
Yes, probably not that hard to do.

chord detection
Yes, for jazz organ, guitar, etc.

bars silent automatic (over 2 bars) on page setup
I love the idea. I make do be making a big font with |-12-|.

string bowings
Yes. Noteworthy must be useful to the student or amatuer for writing violin, cello, viola, and bass.

automatically adjust staff with changed clef
Very good idea. It saves mistakes when you change a clef and don't transpose up properly using CTRL up+down.

dimmuendos
For sure!

instrument ranges (range checking)
Agreed

also, nonlinear bar lines on following staffs
Very important. This is a basic rule of notation.

quarter tones
Who cares?

arpeggio on 4 strings behind the bridge
Yes, there are others too. Useful for strings.

molto vibrato
tremolo
double time
All useful

large time signature
I've found tis to be common. See any study of orchestration.

lip
tutti
jazz shortcuts
Yep, I'm into that a little.

crossing clefs with beams (eg. Debussy)
Yes, as in from bass to treble and vice versa.

percussion note heads (also triangles)
Yeah!

chord slashes for guitar parts
Needed for the jazz or pop musician.

lute tabs
God idea.

fingering (piano and strings)
Yes. Especially for notating harder music and for students/teaching.

double stop detect (also parallel fifths)
portamento (very important)
jete
Might be nice.

trills (why is there no trills?)
Need trills. There are different kinds. Very useful.

arco
pizz
Yes.

very slow vibrato marking
May be useful to me.

What do you think? :)

Reply #5
re: Piano Fingering - The 1.70 Beta makes fingering notation (using Insert Text) MUCH easier than before. The text can be centered above the notes, and you can now insert it between beamed notes.

Other effects you want (such as trills) can also be done using Insert Text, using the Boxmarks (or some other musical character) font.

Reply #6
Mmm..., yes and then users like me jump in crying "Hey,I wanna hear this being played! I want to play the music I write using NWC you know!"

So, either this proggie becomes a strict WRITTING tool (and looses its users like me and others) or, it follows a process of incorporating features under both aspects simultaneously (developing slowly, but fulfillingly). Maybe those of us who know how to write programs could offer some scripts to NWC so that this proggie advances faster you know? (e.g. linux)

I 'd rather wait, than go.

As for Dr. Libber, sir, hold your horses will you? I don't think NWC has 10-50 programmers adept in midi AND scripting programs in the same time, working 12-hour shifts (like PhD students like myself) on this program alone.

Reply #7
I want both too. The 1.70 Beta makes doing both a bit easier with its ability to hide notation. So you can write one thing to get published and another to playback without resorting to a hidden track.

I assume this program is aimed at both publish and playback, so I think its time a few more playback features were added.

Reply #8
Hey guys, To me there's no difference between notation and the midi sound. In other words when Noteworthy has added another marking, it does the same to the midi, for example, dynamics, mp... the marking is made and the midi output is changed as well! So what's the problem? If they add trills, they'll just play a midi command (I'm no good at understanding midi) like up and down note to get the trill effect thru midi. Don't make people confused about the issues and what Noteworthy can and can't do.

Cheers

Reply #9
Noteworthy does not officially have a trill. So if I want one I do it with grace notes, hide them (in the Beta), and put a trill symbol above the note. It looks right and sounds right. So can Noteworthy do trills? I say YES, it gives you the flexibility to do them, and many other things the author may never have thought of. Its not that confusing.

Reply #10
About trills and some other "automatic" stuff:
As there are as many ways to play it as there are persons, I perfer that NWC doesn't make trills itself.
As to "automatically adjust staff with changed clef", which would be awful: Never had the need to *simply* change a clef? And nothing more? I _don't_ want NWC to transpose my scores automatically. The keyword here is "don't let your computer do something you don't want to".
Also, "instrument ranges (range checking)" may be helpful for people writing scores to be played by real players. But is directly limiting if you want to write "pure midi" music. I know that a trumpet can *not* play a C6, but midi allows this... Why would you want to limit it?

What is essential is that NWC plays/writes the same thing.
Chi va piano va sano!

ANd now I got to go further in the 1.70 beta...2!

Reply #11
The answer to all of marsu's points is: Options.

Why not an option when inserting a clef that asks you whether you wish the notes on the staff (from the position of the clef to the next clef or end of staff) to be adjusted or not?

Why not an option to check or not to check ranges for assigned instruments?

NWC could do trills with options the same way. Picture this:

Insert Trill

Specify Alternate Note (sharped, flatted, etc.)

Specify Granularity (16th notes, 32nd notes, etc.)

Start trill on: (root note, or alternate note)

Specify Duration:

(Apologies for not being able to think up good terminology for the above.)

Of course, there is the problem of how to associate the trill with a single note of a chord. Also double trills (Waldstein sonata comes to mind).

- seb

Reply #12
Easy!

Highlight note, select insert trill.
NWC adds a squiggle after the note you've selected.
When NWC plays back the note it plays a trill sound to the note (usually up half a semi-tone?)

I'd love to see this added!

Bye!

Reply #13
I assume this program is aimed at both publish and playback, so I think its time a few more notation features were added

Reply #14
marsu wot planet do you live on???

Reply #15
Sterghios wrote:
Mmm..., yes and then users like me jump in crying "Hey,I wanna hear this being played! I want to play the music I write using NWC you know!"

I think you missed the blatantly obvious point here, adding notation necessitates adding the midi functionality. you didn't say that you thought the ideas were good, you just panicked because you thought the sky might fall down :-). when they add trill, of course the midi will sound like a trill - you're just worried for no reason!
when is the next version?! I can't wait!