Skip to main content
Topic: Copyright Symbol information (Read 3272 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Copyright Symbol information

Reply #1
How do you get the phonorecording copyright symbol?  It's just like the "C" inside the circle, only the letter is "P".

Reply #2
In most standard fonts, the copyright symbol can be typed by holding the ALT key, then typing 0169 using the numeric keypad.

A handy tool for finding the ALT codes for other characters, or double-clicking to copy selected characters to the clipboard (from whence you can Paste or CNTL-V into your application), is charmap.exe (Character Map) which ships with Windows. (If you didn't install it when originally setting up Windows, you can add it with Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Windows Setup tab | Accessories).

Reply #3
Oops.. read too quickly. I don't know how to get that P inside a circle character, unless you go looking for it in a custom font or add it yourself using a font editor (not a casual operation).

If I'm not mistaken, the usual C copyright symbol is quite universally accepted for the assertion of copyright on any intellectual property.

Reply #4
Actually, Fred, I believe that circle-C does not have the legal force of the word "copyright" even though we know what circle-C means. But under current U.S. law (I do not know about international law), the copyright exists whether or not it is labeled.

Reply #5
One thing you could try that would not work in NWC, but in Word would be to type an "O" in a bigger font, select it, set the spacing really high so that it's practically overstrike (I forget how, but it's in the font window somewhere...) and type a "P" in a smaller font.