Skip to main content
Topic: Fiendish Accuracy in Recording from MIDI (Read 8077 times) previous topic - next topic

Fiendish Accuracy in Recording from MIDI

I've just acquired a MIDI keyboard, and am amazed at the horrible accuracy when recording my playing

Is there a way of "suggesting" that a bit of tempo rubato is appropriate? How do I avoid my slight tempo slips giving me demi hemi demi semi quavers(!?)

Re: Fiendish Accuracy in Recording from MIDI

Reply #1
Alex said <<<I've just acquired a MIDI keyboard, and am amazed at the horrible accuracy when recording my playing>>>

This is a function mainly of speed of response of your computer, I guess coupled with lag times and also human beings' tendency not to play exactly like clockwork. I actually went back to manual input for most things, though MIDI keyboard is superb for notating arpeggios and chords.

<<<Is there a way of "suggesting" that a bit of tempo rubato is appropriate? How do I avoid my slight tempo slips giving me demi hemi demi semi quavers(!?) >>>

YES! That is, if I understand your question. You want your "near enough" (timewise) notes to notate exactly, right? In Tools | Options, there is an Import Tab which is used by the record function (record actually records firstly into a "raw" midi stream, and then imports that stream). Simply adjust the note resolution to what you feel is the best compromise between accuracy and embarrassment! ;-) If you're only getting hemi demi semi quavers, then you shouldn't have to adjust too far!

Regards,

Andrew

Re: Fiendish Accuracy in Recording from MIDI

Reply #2
You have two options:

1 - Change the Import note and rest resolution options. this will also impact your other import operations, so be advised.

2 - Manually import your recorded performances from the Import Recording command on the Staff menu. This will let you specify the resolution that best matches your last performance. This also is good to use if you want to fine tune the import of your last recorded performance, but do not want to re-perform it.

I hope this helps.

Eric, support@noteworthysoftware.com