Skip to main content
Topic: I dont want my midi stolen! (Read 3467 times) previous topic - next topic

I dont want my midi stolen!

I made a song in NoteWorthy and converted it to a midi file to be played as the embeded background to my web page. Does anyone know of a way I can embed within the midi file something that would not allow someone to download the midi and print out the sheet music through NoteWorthy?

If anyone has any suggestions please post here or email me privately at jpb@stny.rr.com

Thanks!

Re: I dont want my midi stolen!

Reply #1
I believe that Crescendo (the version you have to pay for) allows this option. However, it still has to get into your computer, and anyone who's not averse to poking around in the browser's cache directory will be able to find it no problem. (I know, I've done it!)

Reply #2
If all you're worried about is someone *printing* your work,
why not "adjust" some of the the notes so the translation
from MIDI back to NWC looks really horrible, but sounds the
same. A few really bizzare time changes (1/4 with lots of
bar lines is a rather arresting sight :-), key changes,
double dotted notes and odd length rests should do the
trick. Anyone with enough patience could edit it back to
presentability, but at least you've made them work for it.
Don't forget to give people a way to contact you to request
a copy if they really want one.

Reply #3
that it is not stolen can only be prevented by not distributing the file.
To prevent from displaying or printing score or from editing
notes there is a midi crypt utility at http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/SMF_crypt/

it can be played with normal player but notes are modified
and corrected with pitchbend, all notes different and encoded method with a key that it can't be decoded back without knowing exact method. If trying to edit/display/print then should get nonsense notes.

Guenter

Reply #4
A midi file on your web page will only sound as good as the sound card the in the machine of the person listening to it.
The sound you hear is produced by your sound card. Why not record your song as a wave file and put that into your Web Page. That way they can hear it as you hear it and they can't rip off your midi file (.wav is an analogue file of sorts).

Reply #5
Wav files are extremely large, and therefore not suitable for most internet applications, except for very short (a few seconds) snippets. Various compression schemes are in use, ranging from RealAudio to MPEG with at least a couple other formats. The most popular at this time seems to be MPEG mp3. Even then, figure on about 1 megabyte per minute for reasonable-sounding performances.