Skip to main content
Topic: Sustain (peddle on/off) notation in score printouts (Read 6883 times) previous topic - next topic

Sustain (peddle on/off) notation in score printouts

I imported a .mid file and have subsequently mucked with the score (a lot), but am now finding that the Sustain (peddle on/off) notation really "messes up" the score printouts.

Is it true that if I delete the notation throughout the score that the music will not sound the same in playback?

Assuming yes, I don't want to do that. But I would like to be able to print the score without taking up space for that. Can I ? That is, is it true that the spacing of the score will be differernt without this notation ?

Final question: am I right that this is the proper way to ask a question like this... as opposed to the MailTo link on the Web page where (I assume) the question just goes directly to NoteWorthy support ?

Re: Sustain (peddle on/off) notation in score printouts

Reply #1
>>>Is it true that if I delete the [Pedal] notation throughout the score that the music will not sound the same in playback? <<<

Yes, so long as your midi box is implementing pedal ups and downs. One thing you may want to try (I am not certain this will work, depending upon whether pedals on one channel affect another channel) is this:

Move all the pedal markings onto another staff, (this is a very tedious process depending upon how complicated your pedalling is). Then you can just exclude that staff from printing. Now IF the Pedalling is not global (I _think_ this is MIDI box specific) you could tell that staff to map onto the same channel (midi tab in Staff Properties) as the original staff.

>>>is it true that the spacing of the score will be differernt without this notation ?<<<

Probably yes, though it may not be a big difference, depending upon the number of Pedal markings. You could probably insert a single or double space (using the Text command) to pad things out if you need. The pedal markings ARE important to anyone who wants to play the piece as you would like it to be played (Heathen that I am, I normally pedal where I like :-P )

>>>Final question: am I right that this is the proper way to ask a question like this... as opposed to the MailTo link on the Web page where (I assume) the question just goes directly to NoteWorthy support ? <<< Eric would certainly answer this question (I hope!) if you e-mailed him, and may eventually answer it here next time he visits the forum. The forum just lets nosey parkers like me get in first ;-)

Regards,

Andrew

PC Users Group, Canberra, Users Helping Users

Re: Sustain (peddle on/off) notation in score printouts

Reply #2
If you want to add sustain pedal instructions for playback purposes only, then the best way is by placing them in a separate staff that uses the same MIDI channel. You can even make an exact copy of the other staff, including all of the notes, and then insert the pedal marks where needed. By then muting this staff, all the note events will no longer play from this second staff, but the pedal marks will still be passed to the MIDI channel.

In your case, I would make a duplicate copy of your staff before removing any pedal marks (this is easy with Copy and Paste). Make the duplicate staff use the same MIDI device and channel, and then mark it as Muted. Now remove the pedal marks from the original staff. Play back will still include the pedal instructions from the Muted staff, as the mute only disables the notes, not the other items.

I hope this helps.

Eric, support@noteworthysoftware.com