Skip to main content
Topic: Trills? (Read 3017 times) previous topic - next topic

Trills?

I noticed that the example .nwc file, "Moonlite" by Beethoven has very complicated things I want to do, like trills and stuff. I tried copying and pasting the notes onto a new music file, but it didn't work. And the tr~~~~~ was merely just some text. Does anyone know how to do trills easy like in Moonlite without resorting to Multi Point Controller? Cause trills with that when I use it sound awful.

Re: Trills?

Reply #1
This file contains hidden staves that actually do the sounding, whereas the staves you see are muted.

See also the reply to the other recent thread on this subject.

Reply #2
For now, if you don't know how to make "hidden" staves appear, go in "Page setup" window (Alt, F, G), in Contents tab, and uncheck "Hidden" checkbox. Enter, Ctrl-G, 126, and you'll see how trill is *really* implemented in that piece.

HTH,
      Dominique

Reply #3
Nick, you have to do trills and ornaments the hard way: written out in notes. This is one instance where I wouldn't want some automatic feature; there are too many stylistic variables. If you have to hide the nuts and bolts, go ahead, you can make a "presentation" staff like the samples. Since I am more interested in the midi output I just leave the raw notes visible.

Reply #4
I want to second Schiffmans' reply for the best results you really should enter the notes yourself (that's what they did in the beginning of printed music) this will give you the most control over the actual sound and if you are having someone else play the music they will not have to guess which period (in music history) your ideas of ornamentation are from for their own performance execution.

Reply #5
My experience is that wind instruments sound better with pitch bends. Percussion and plucked strings sound better with disrete notes. Bowed strings depend on the effect you want.
Registered user since 1996