Skip to main content
Topic: Maximum number of staffs? (Read 9411 times) previous topic - next topic

Maximum number of staffs?

I didn't found this in the help-file: Is there a maximum number of staffs that can be set in in a single piece of music? I got a GPF after trying to put in 10 staffs (I wanted to put the different theme-parts on different staffs for a study).

Re: Maximum number of staffs?

Reply #1
Since I'm primarily interested in concert band arrangements, the ability to handle a large number of staffs was one of my deciding factors in choosing NoteWorthy. Although it can only *display* 32 staffs, there seems to be no limit to the number you can define (apart from system resources). I've got a file with around 40 staves and had no trouble creating about 10 more. I was able to print 20 staves at a time without any difficulty.

Reply #2
Hmm. Just tried it on my version (1.31b for Win95) and was still going strong at about 30 staffs!

Which version are you using and which operating system?

Andrew

PS: Even with the old systems (1.30 something), I've been able to import the Barber of Seville midi which has about 13 staves. (Scratches head and frowns).

Reply #3
I was wondering when someone would raise this one. When importing the Dukas "Sorcerer's Apprentice" midi (39 staves) the system would only display (and scroll between) 32 staves in the finished .nwc file. However, it still played all the staves. I solved the problem by putting the strings into a separate "strings" partition and was then able to work on each and every staff at will. I agree that 32 is probably a practical limit as far as ease of editing is concerned, but I think this should be stated somewhere... (where are you, Eric?)

Reply #4
I'm using 1.31b on Windows 3.11. I was doing some odd things: The first line was a normal piece of music (16 bars) The next lines were the parts of which the music was composed without putting the clef again in front. When I tried to "preview print" this it once worked but returned with a GPF. I removed some stafs (until only 10 remained) and got the same thing but this time after returning from the "print" action. I got a print but it lacked 2 of the staffs. I know this is not a normal way of using NWC. Maybe thats why it failed.

I didn't know of the 32-limit. Nice to know how to circumvent it. Jos

Reply #5
A song can have up to 255 staves, but only about 30 can be displayed at a time. Beyon 30 parts, you will need to create multiple partitions with the parts.

When you get a GPF, write down the address of the fault, and then write us at support. If possible, attach the file that causes the failure. This helps us to tighten the system in an effort to avoid future GPFs.

I hope this helps.

Eric, support@noteworthysoftware.com