Skip to main content
Topic: No Single (Read 1204 times) previous topic - next topic

No Single

Hello,

If we want to split the staves, there is a word "nosingle" on the third prompt. What does it for .

Thank you

Frank

Re: No Single

Reply #1
Hi Frank,
I assume you're using the "Parts" user tool.

Nosingle means that if there is a single voice at some point then it should be replaced by a rest.

E.G. if you were separating Soprano and Alto voices, and at some point in the staff there was a note that was only in one voice, then the "no single" directive would cause the note to be replaced by a rest.

I suggest you experiment.  Create a short section of music with 2 note chords, say A and C repeated a few times.  In between a pair of these chords add a C such that you have a few A and C chords, a single C note, then a few more A and C chords.
Run the tool WITHOUT "no single" and observe the result. Then press <Ctrl+Z> to undo it and run the tool again but this time use "nosingle" and note the result - do you see the difference?
Do this in all the different combinations you can think of.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: No Single

Reply #2
I suggest you experiment.  Create a short section of music with 2 note chords, say A and C repeated a few times.  In between a pair of these chords add a C such that you have a few A and C chords, a single C note, then a few more A and C chords.
Run the tool WITHOUT "no single" and observe the result. Then press <Ctrl+Z> to undo it and run the tool again but this time use "nosingle" and note the result - do you see the difference?
Do this in all the different combinations you can think of.
Thank you Lawrie for your comprehensive explanation, I like it.

Frank