Skip to main content
Topic: how to make it like this (Read 3018 times) previous topic - next topic

how to make it like this

Hello, I forgot how to make it like the attached, and what does it mean
I attached the one I was keying in, and the one that I want it to be. Anyone can help me explain where to strat to make the upper line witn he number 1 & 2 & 3?,

Thank you,

Frank

Re: how to make it like this

Reply #1
"Special ending"

Reply #2
Yes but I do not now how to make to apply it for 1& 2 and ending 3 will cover upto 3 measures/bars
If you could enlighten me.
Thank you.
Frank

Reply #3
This section on the NWC website gives a short overview of special endings: https://noteworthycomposer.com/hh/nwc2/MNU_ADDSPCLENDING.htm

It also mentions that there are several sample scores, named REPEAT(1-4).nwc, which show examples of different kinds of special endings. If you load them into NWC, you can see how things work. REPEAT4.nwc shows how to have multiple measures in an ending.

Reply #5
This section on the NWC website gives a short overview of special endings:
Hi Mike,
It seems the song sheet was written with another software long time ago, I do not see like flow direction, coda, etc.
First the song quartet that we will learn is this one:
https://youtu.be/yDKhannlj5w
And as the pdf song sheet is more than allowed size, I just put it on my google drive, we can click the following:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QIy1Fg5jFUS-yFD28bM4JaOf1Fv9PJLx/view?usp=sharing
The following is the flow of the song, that I can not make it:
Point A. it seems the song started from Referrain/Chorus, after the end of the verse 1 and 2, always go back to point A
Point B. is special ending of the first time and the end the 1st verse (Point E)
Point C is the very ending, after the end of verse 2 Point G
The very final ending is on Point H

Thank you for your help

Frank

Reply #6
Okay, there are two different issues here. 1) Using the special endings to create the correct appearance in the score. 2) Getting the score to play back correctly with those endings in place.

I don't have any problems with issue 1, but issue 2 causes me problems also. There are numerous rules about what types of barlines you can and cannot use, and I can never get them right, so I'm not the person to ask for help on that front. Hopefully someone else here who has a better grasp on the flow control playback can assist you here.

Reply #7
Okay, there are two different issues here. 1) Using the special endings to create the correct appearance in the score. 2) Getting the score to play back correctly with those endings in place.
Ok Mike, I know someone among us maybe know for both issues. Hi Lawrie, maybe you cuould help me on how to direct the flow of the section to be sung, or any others that can help me on this?

Thank you

Frank

Reply #8
The sequence is ABDE ABFG ACH.
A possible solution is to make special ending 1 = BDE, special ending 2 = BFG and special ending 3 = CH.
An alternative I'd prefer is to simply expand the score repeating (copying) the nine bars of the A section.

Let me say the original score could have been written in a clearer way!

Reply #9
Let me say the original score could have been written in a clearer way!
Yes Flurmy, may be we need to use the flow direction, but I am not too familiar with it.

Reply #10
Hi Frank,
if you want to keep the existing layout, then there is a way to do it.

Primary rules for special endings:
  • There must be master repeat bars in the appropriate places
  • There CANNOT be decorated bar lines within the special ending section, as they terminate the repeat logic.  If you must have a double barline, then it can be emulated by placing 2 normal barlines with a spacer (<Ins> key) between them.

• Place an opening Master Repeat at the start of the piece (NB this is actually optional as NWC will assume it's there but it's best practice to put it in as it avoids confusion for those reading the music)
  • At letters B and C place special endings as shown in the score (I think you need to replace the double barline with two single ones separated by a spacer - try it both ways and see what works)
  • At D place a 1st time special ending
  • At "E 1) 2 F" replace the double barline between "1)" and "2" with a closing master repeat.
  • At "2" place a 2nd time special ending
  • At "2)G" [the end of the piece] place a closing master repeat
  • At the end of the 3rd time special ending place a section close double barline, perhaps with a "fine" directive just before it.

I'm pretty sure this will work, haven't had time to actually notate anything to test.

<edits> in italics - bad recommendation corrected
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #11
I'm pretty sure this will work, haven't had time to actually notate anything to test.
Thank you Lawrie for your help, but maybe something wrong with me, I already tried as per your instruction on the first staff, but still can not work like the flow of the Heralds Quartet on the youtube. Should I make the same for all the 4 staves? then test it? Or I attach my nwc file?

Thank you

Frank

Reply #12
Hi Frank, all 4 staves, or you won't really know what's going on.

If it still doesn't work please post and I'll try to get to it in a timey fashion, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Reply #13
If it still doesn't work please post and I'll try to get to it in a timey fashion, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
Here is the file Lawrie, so that you can see what I have tried.
Thank you

Frank

Reply #14
Hi Frank,
try this:
You had a couple of things not quite right - please compare the files to find them - if I just tell you it won't reinforce as well as if you find them yourself.

I did tell you one wrong thing though.  The Section Close barlines at the end of the 3rd time special ending were incorrect - they should have been simple double bars.  This prevented the repeat at the end of the no.2 1st special ending from working.

Reply #15
You had a couple of things not quite right - please compare the files to find them - if I just tell you it won't reinforce as well as if you find them yourself.
Thank you very much Lawrie, after I changed the 3rd times special ending and make the same for all staves, it works like yours.
I have several question to make it perfect as the music sheet and sung sounds like the quartet
1. How can we make it so that the upperline on 3rd times ending coverrring/capping the whole section like  the music sheet
2. On the start of the Baritone lyric actually it just hold singging, there is no addtional word "steal away". how can we make it like long line from the first "steal away" keep holding to match its full note.
3. On Fermata, the singers is longer than the fermata of the piano playing nwc file, how can we make it longer
4. How can I understand the logic of the flow, what is the difference of using Coda etc

Thank you

Frank

Reply #16
I have several question to make it perfect as the music sheet and sung sounds like the quartet
1. How can we make it so that the upperline on 3rd times ending coverrring/capping the whole section like  the music sheet
That is the purpose of the "Continue Prior Ending" button in the special ending dialogue box.  Simply place a special ending at the start of each bar that you need the line to continue over and click that button for each.  It would be best to select "Closed Ending" on the last one too.
2. On the start of the Baritone lyric actually it just hold singging, there is no addtional word "steal away". how can we make it like long line from the first "steal away" keep holding to match its full note.
Use a tie from the last F in the first bar to connect to the F in the second bar.  Delete the words "Steal_a_way" from the lyrics.  I know this is slightly different to the PDF as it doesn't show the tie you need to add.  Nevertheless, adding the tie is the correct answer, the PDF is technically wrong.
3. On Fermata, the singers is longer than the fermata of the piano playing nwc file, how can we make it longer
You are dealing with the natural decay of the piano patch.  It is not an organ which will hold the note.  When you strike a note on a real piano, even if you hold the key down or press the sustain pedal, the note will still decay.  The patch is designed to mimic this.
If you change the patch to, say, any wind instrument, or a vocal patch, or an organ, or a string instrument, the decay won't happen.
4. How can I understand the logic of the flow, what is the difference of using Coda etc
They follow the normal rules of music.
These exceptions are specific to NWC:
  • No decorated barlines within a special ending as they terminate the special ending.
  • Section Close barlines can derail the flow logic (as we discovered yesterday)
  • If you use flow control (DS, DC etc) and you need to include a special ending as part of the flow, you must include a Default Ending) directive in the special ending to be played
  • DC and DS directives can ONLY use a single Default Ending directive as master repeat logic prevents repeats from happening after a DS or DC*, until a Coda is reached, when the repeat logic is reset to normal for the coda.

* This correctly follows traditional practice.  Unfortunately a lot of "modern" practice, especially in jazz, includes doing the repeats again after a DC or DS directive.  NWC cannot do this directly, though creative use of special endings and text representations of DS, DC etc. flow controls can emulate this.  The late RickG was an absolute genius at making this work.

Reply #17
Thank you very much Lawrie, after I changed the 3rd times special ending and make the same for all staves, it works like yours.
Did you also notice I changed the separate 1st and 2nd endings into a combined 1.2 ending?
This is important as it would have changed the flow very slightly in the 1st and 2nd time bar construct.

Reply #18
Did you also notice I changed the separate 1st and 2nd endings into a combined 1.2 ending?
Thank you Lawrie, Yes I did, but after comparing with yours, coz when I tested it didn't stop there. Thank you. And also there are still some correction that I should make, including the notes, I have to compare with the music sheet, because, some time I just copied from one staff to another coz it looks the same, but , there are accidentals not needed in the next staff.
Thank you very much.

Frank