Skip to main content
Topic: The Draw Bar (Read 3162 times) previous topic - next topic

The Draw Bar

Hello, I am notating the song sheet and I have 2 questions:
1. What this the drawn bar like in the attached.
2. Is Noteworthy Composer is capable of handling gitar chord, if yes, how can we put it, so that it can play with the piano sound?

Thank you for any help.

Frank

Re: The Draw Bar

Reply #1
Hi Frank,
1) this line is part of the special ending and is turned on by checking the "Closed Ending" check box.

2) There are 2 objects that can be used to create and play "guitar chords":
ChordPlay.nw - https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9092.0
and
GuitarChord.ms - https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9081.0

Check them both out and see if either suits you.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
this line is part of the special ending and is turned on by checking the "Closed Ending" check box.
Thank you Lawrie, but how can we draw it for 2 measures, sorry actually the area for special ending I should have written for measures 19 and 20, When I tried like you said, it only cover for 1 measure.

Thank you
Frank

Reply #3
2) There are 2 objects that can be used to create and play "guitar chords":
ChordPlay.nw - https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9092.0
and
GuitarChord.ms - https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9081.0
Hi Lawrie,
When I tried to download and play it, it sounds like the saound of piano two. My shong sheet, has quitar chord and the usual Noteworthy Note, so I supposed it can play both piano sound and guitar sound, so we hear like full music.
Isn't it.

Thank you

Reply #4
Thank you Lawrie, but how can we draw it for 2 measures, sorry actually the area for special ending I should have written for measures 19 and 20, When I tried like you said, it only cover for 1 measure.
Special endings have a mix of options.  For a first special ending that covers 2 or more bars:
Bar 1 - insert a special ending at the start of the bar that us marked as the "1st Ending" and has nothing else checked.
Bar 2 onwards - insert a special ending at the start of each bar and click the "Continue prior ending" button
Last bar of the special ending - insert a special ending at the start of the bar, click the "Continue prior ending" button AND then click the "Closed ending" checkbox.

The "Closed ending" checkbox puts the vertical line at the end of the special ending that you are looking for.

Reply #5
Hi Lawrie,
When I tried to download and play it, it sounds like the saound of piano two. My shong sheet, has quitar chord and the usual Noteworthy Note, so I supposed it can play both piano sound and guitar sound, so we hear like full music.
Isn't it.
No, a staff cannot have 2 different sounds at the same time.
Thus the objects will play back using the "instrument" that is assigned to the staff either in staff properties OR whatever the last Instrument change inserted specified. 

If you want a guitar sound as well as a piano sound you need to create another staff and assign guitar to it.

The chord objects are primarily for the visual effect.  The fact they can also play back sounds is a useful bonus IMHO

Reply #6
Special endings have a mix of options.  For a first special ending that covers 2 or more bars:
Bar 1 - insert a special ending at the start of the bar that us marked as the "1st Ending" and has nothing else checked.
Bar 2 onwards - insert a special ending at the start of each bar and click the "Continue prior ending" button
Last bar of the special ending - insert a special ending at the start of the bar, click the "Continue prior ending" button AND then click the "Closed ending" checkbox.
Thank you Lawrie, I can make it look like the drawing line on the songsheet but I do not know the effect. I do not see like the Coda, it returns back to special section. Could you tell me what will be the effect in sound?

Also, I am not cleared on this:
See attached:
1. At the beginning measure 19, it says 1, 2 while in the song sheet 1 & 2
2. At the end of measure 20 it is closed, while at the next one  is is not closed, what does it mean.
3. At the top of the section closed bar there is number 2, what does it mean
Again what will be the effect of all the special Ending in sound when we play it

Thank you for your time

Frank

Reply #7
Hi Lawrie,

Sorry forgot to attach before sending
Here it is

Thank you.

Frank

Reply #8
<snip>
1. At the beginning measure 19, it says 1, 2 while in the song sheet 1 & 2
2. At the end of measure 20 it is closed, while at the next one  is is not closed, what does it mean.
3. At the top of the section closed bar there is number 2, what does it mean
Again what will be the effect of all the special Ending in sound when we play it

1. It's the same thing.  It means the 1st and 2nd time through you use that special ending.
2. The closed ending and the open ending are primarily cosmetic, BUT the closed ending is a positive visual reminder that particular ending finishes at that point.  By convention, the last special ending after a repeated section is not closed.
3. I assume this is an NWC file as that is an NWC "Local Repeat".  Local repeats should NOT be used with special endings as the special endings don't work properly on local repeats.  To make special endings work correctly you MUST use Master Repeats.

If you had master repeats in place then the flow would be:
1st time through, use the 1,2 special ending - repeat back to the repeat starting point
2nd time through, do the same as the 1st time
3rd time through jump from the end of bar 18 and continue from the 3rd special ending (bar 21).

HOWEVER, as you have used local repeats (with a 2 on the local repeat ending) then the flow would be:
1st time - play to the local repeat, then go back to the repeat start
2nd time - play to the local repeat and stop.
There won't be a 3rd time while there is a special ending after the local repeat.  If you remove the 3rd time special ending then after the 2nd time through it will continue on past the local repeat barline into bar 21.

Bottom line, local repeats are really a bit of a kludge BUT they can be useful in exceptional circumstances if you understand how they work.  I almost never use them, or at least not that I recall in the last 15 or 20 years. 

The exception to this is when I want to simulate a swing rhythm using a hidden tempo, or conductor, track.  I usually setup a single bar with the swing setup and then set a local repeat for the number of bars that get played.  NB this is not necessarily the same number of bars as in the song because repeats affect the number of bars actually played.

Reply #9
HOWEVER, as you have used local repeats (with a 2 on the local repeat ending) then the flow would be:
1st time - play to the local repeat, then go back to the repeat start
2nd time - play to the local repeat and stop.
There won't be a 3rd time while there is a special ending after the local repeat.  If you remove the 3rd time special ending then after the 2nd time through it will continue on past the local repeat barline into bar 21.
Thank you very much Lawrie. You are right. I was wrong, in the start I put master repeat, while in the song sheet itself is Local repeat (not bold bar one of the 2 bars picture)
Please bear with me, since my job here for life is a housekeeper with the age not young anymore. When I came here in CA 7 years ago, I tried  to get a job like my profession in Indonesia, as an accountant, but didn't get it. So  I want to keep my brain working, therefre I still have many question on other topics.
Thank you

Frank