Skip to main content
Topic: Chords with opposite tied (Read 2445 times) previous topic - next topic

Chords with opposite tied

Good evening to you,
explain to me why in the first measure I managed - completely by chance - to give opposite directions to the tieds on two notes of a chord. In the third measure I can't get the same result.
In general, how is it possible to give opposite directions to the tieds of the notes of a chord, even more notes? Does it depend on the direction of the stems? And when these aren't there (e.g. semibreve)?
Thank you.
Lorenzo

Re: Chords with opposite tied

Reply #1
If you look at the notation properties of the semibreve chord, make sure that the Tie Direction of the chord is Default, not Upward or Downward. When it is Default, the tie directions will be opposite as in the first chord tie. If you have a single (non-chord) semi-breve, the Default tie direction will reverse based on the direction of the invisible stem, but when it's a chord, it should give you the "good" appearance. Try removing and re-adding the tie via the "/" key just in case it has somehow gotten "stuck".

Reply #2
Thanks Mike!
I didn't stop! By dint of trying and trying again, I discovered that the first note of the chord must be inserted (both a semibreve and a minima and a semiminima, etc.), giving the sign (/) but without adding the tied note. Then the second note of the chord must be inserted, in the same way. The two ties have opposite directions. Then the two tied notes are entered.
I will consider and and test with your suggestions in mind.
Good day.
Lorenzo

Reply #4
This instead is ineffective:
Try removing and re-adding the tie via the "/" key just in case it has somehow gotten "stuck".
This "ineffective" fix is something I remember doing a long time ago, but not recently. Maybe it was a workaround on one of the many beta versions prior to the 2.75 release. But since then, I've gotten the behavior I want just by setting the Tie Direction property on the leading chord.