Skip to main content
Topic: shared Beamed notes (Read 1868 times) previous topic - next topic

shared Beamed notes

Is there any way to beam notes in both up and down-stem situations?

For example playing two or more 1/8th notes in the bass clef for tenors and bases. When I enter a pair of shared notes and tell it to beam them, only the down stems get the beam. This is not the way it should be. Both down and up stem should be able to be beamed in shared notes. I have tried using a linespan but it looks terrible.

Any suggestions?

Re: shared Beamed notes

Reply #1
You need to use layering to achieve this.

If you do not know about layering, I would suggest that you download the command summary from the Scriptorium. 
Layering is covered throughout the summary but particularly 4 - Staff, Insert Menus

https://nwc-scriptorium.org/command.html

Rich.

Reply #2
I have never been able to make layering work.

So, should I write each part on its own staff and then layer?

I'm sorry if my question is silly. I'm an old man and the learning curve is a problem.

Plus, at this point, I won't be able to do it, because my old computer died that I had NWC on. I can't get a response from support regarding reinstalling the program on the new computer.

Reply #3
So, should I write each part on its own staff and then layer?

Methods vary but one easier way perhaps is to write out the staff without the bi directional beams, copy the staff and at the point where you have the bi directional beams, on the copy set up the beams on the other direction and then layer the staff.

There are other issues such as muting the duplicate notes etc but that would be a start. 

As I said before, if you download the command summary, there are examples.

But you need to get NoteWorthy working again first.

Rich.