Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI files (Read 3468 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI files

Good morning,
I'd like to point out a problem of mine that has nothing to do with the topics dealt with in the forum but for me it is important and... I know that you are very helpful and I am perfectly ignorant.
My PC hasn't played MIDI files for a few weeks now. I usually use Windows Media Player. The MIDI file progresses but nothing is heard. I opened them with VLC media player and this message appeared:
MIDI Synthesizer is not configured:
A sound font (.SF2) file is required for MIDI synthesis.
Install a soundfont and configure it from the VLC settings (Input / Encoders > Audio encoder > FluidSynth).

Greetings to everyone.
Lorenzo

Re: MIDI files

Reply #1
Your posting motivated me, after years and years, to install a soundfont for VLC. I use chorium.sf2 (can be found at many places on the internet, AFAIK), and installed it like that.

- If VLC then plays your MIDIs audibly, all is well (more or less: You'd have to find out why WMP no longer makes sounds ...).
- If VLC is also silent, it's the sound system that doesn't like you.

Don't know whether this is of any (tiny) help ...

H.M.

Reply #2
I tried but to no avail, alas!
Thanks anyway.
Lorenzo

Reply #3
It sounds like Windows has lost its default MIDI synth setting.  There used to be a control panel applet (MIDI mapper) that allowed you to set the default MIDI synth, but that disappeared some versions ago.

Sooo, with that in mind, CoolSoft have a MidiMapper replacement:
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/midimapper

Reckon this could help.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
I downloaded CoolSoft, installed it, problem solved! ;D ;D ;D
Thank you!!!
Lorenzo

Reply #5
I'm forced to resume this discussion because again the MIDI files in WMP are opened (not in VLC, where the above error message appears) but cannot be heard. If I want to listen to the MIDI files created with NWC (export...) I must first convert them to MP3. I don't want the problem to be precisely in the "export...".
I loaded CoolSoftMIDImapper and VirtualMIDIShynth, downloaded from the link suggested by Lawrie. For me it is a very difficult subject!
I repeat that in NWC I hear very well, other audio files (e.g. recordings of my harmonica playing) with GoldWave also very well.
The problem is MIDI.
Thanks for the help and pointers.
Lorenzo

PS: here in northern Italy, 3 pm, very hot and muggy.

Reply #6
Hi Lorenzo,
did you run the MIDIMapper and try to assign a default MIDI device with it?

Reply #8
Yep.
If, for some strange reason, that one isn't working try the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

Reply #9
There is some strange reason!!!
With Microsoft GS... it works. I confess that I am groping in the dark, blindly following your instructions.
But in NWC ---> Tools ---> MIDI in the right window (Device used by play back) I have to leave only Microsoft GS... leaving CoolMIDI... and VirtualMIDI... in the left window (Available play device ), otherwise the NWC play becomes silent as well.
Anyway thanks!
Lorenzo