Skip to main content
Topic: Single staff and double staff (Read 1935 times) previous topic - next topic

Single staff and double staff

Sometimes, when transcribing voice/piano scores, one finds measures that have notes with stems pointing in both directions in the same staff. I'm always in slight trouble in these cases. Then I add a second line, where I transcribe the notes with the stems down, inserting rests where the meter requires it. I wonder - and I ask the musician friends of the forum - if, in order to avoid inserting too many rests, it is permissible to "break" chords (they are often bichords), inserting in the supplementary line the lower note of the chord that appears in the upper line, the one " official". I hope I made myself understood. I attach an example and my solutions.
Thanks and happy Sunday.
Lorenzo

Re: Single staff and double staff

Reply #1
Hey Lorenzo,
if it works, looks right and sounds right, I can't see my self calling it wrong...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Se ho capito bene il tuo problema, la risposta è sì.
Al più, ai puristi potrebbe non piacere del tutto l'ultima nota della battuta 7 perché la direzione dell'asta potrebbe indicare quale mano suona cosa e, cambiandola, indicheresti l'altra mano. Ma è una ultra-finezza.
Va là che la vai bene.
Ciao

Reply #3
Thanks to you. Comforted by your judgments, I will continue to use my method: double line and rests when needed.
Good evening (by now...) to Lawrie and ciao to Flurmy.
Lorenzo