Skip to main content
Topic: Placing objects at left edge of staff (Read 1636 times) previous topic - next topic

Placing objects at left edge of staff

I tried to research this before posting a question, but I couldn't find anything which worked. 1. I have a bar with "force system break" set. Immediately following it I place text. I want the text to align with the left edge of the staff. I thought that Properties: Justification: Left, and Alignment/Placement: As Staff Signature would do that, but it doesn't seem to. I can get what I want with trial and error using center or right justification and spaces inserted before or after the text, but that is a lot of work. 2. With a single staff, how do I put a bar line at the beginning of each printed staff?

Re: Placing objects at left edge of staff

Reply #1
2. With a single staff, how do I put a bar line at the beginning of each printed staff?

Just put a single bar line before the first clef. But why would you want to: it's not generally considered correct?
And this doesn't work with any other bar line style!

Reply #2
I thought that Properties: Justification: Left, and Alignment/Placement: As Staff Signature would do that
Did you try "Justification: Right" and "Alignment/Placement: At next note/bar"?
It seems to me the most logical combination.

Reply #3
I have successfully left aligned text entries at the start of a system using the following:
  • Provided you aren't putting the text entry at the very start, modify the clef to disable automatic system clef
  • If there are systems between the start and where you want the text entry, manually place clefs at the start of each system, also with automatic system clef disabled, until you reach where you want the text entry
  • Force a system break immediately before where you want the text entry to be
  • Place the text entry - left aligned at next note/bar
  • Put in a transparent barline - this barline will sit at the start of the system.  It should be transparent because it is incorrect to start a system with a barline.
  • Put in the clef.  This time automatic system clef can remain enabled unless you have more text entries to make on subsequent systems
  • The text entry will align with the transparent barline

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble|AutoSys:N
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Rest|Dur:Whole
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar|SysBreak:Y
|Clef|Type:Treble|AutoSys:N
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Text|Text:"Text Entry"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:11|Placement:AtNextNote
|Bar|Style:Transparent
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar|Style:SectionClose|SysBreak:Y
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Just put a single bar line before the first clef. But why would you want to: it's not generally considered correct?
And this doesn't work with any other bar line style!
I saw it in a piece of percussion music on a single line staff. When I tried to recreate it, one line at a time, it put the bar line indented about a quarter inch from the left edge of the staff.
Did you try "Justification: Right" and "Alignment/Placement: At next note/bar"?
It seems to me the most logical combination.
That works, except you have to pad the text with spaces to line it up where you want it. For multiple lines, this is a lot of trial and error.
I have successfully left aligned text entries at the start of a system using the following:
This seems much more complicated than using right alignment and padding with spaces.
Thanks to all for your replies. I don't know what "Alignment/Placement: As Staff Signature" does. It seems from its name that it would do what I want.