Skip to main content
Topic: Uneven beat between Notes in alto staff and notes in Tenor/bass staff (Read 1409 times) previous topic - next topic

Uneven beat between Notes in alto staff and notes in Tenor/bass staff

Hello I confused in the attached shows that the beat for each measure is 2 beats ( quarter notes), however in the Tenor/bass staff, it is 4 beats, and one is slurred to the next staff. This is the songsheet of " Joy to the World". This resutls in uneven number of staff. Above is staff number 14 and below is no. 14 but longer staff for tennor staff. Any body can help me how can I sort it out.

Thank you.

Frank

Re: Uneven beat between Notes in alto staff and notes in Tenor/bass staff

Reply #1
The dotted quarter (stem down) and eighth note (2 beats total) are the bass part. The half note (stem up, also 2 beats) is the tenor part, which holds that single note (with the tie) into the next measure. If you are putting tenor and bass parts on separate staffs and then layering them (recommended), place the half note (with tie) on the upper staff. Set the note to stem up. In note properties, set Extra Note Spacing to 2 and Tie Direction to Upwards. On the lower staff, insert the dotted quarter and eight notes. Set the dotted quarter to stem down. If you are placing the tenor and bass notes together on the same staff as a chord, it can be done: Place the half note, with tie. Set it to stem up. Set the note property to Tie Direction Upward. Then use ctl-enter to add the dotted quarter. Then add the eighth note normally. This method will display slightly differently (the half note will be before the dotted quarter) but will still be musically accurate.

Re: Uneven beat between Notes in alto staff and notes in Tenor/bass staff

Reply #2
Thank you  Sir for your complete explanation. I will study on it.

Frank