Skip to main content
Topic: internal and external slur (Read 1718 times) previous topic - next topic

internal and external slur

Good morning to you!
I wonder if it is possible to tighten the slurs inside and not above a group of two joined notes. I know that it is possible to work and fix the slur with the user slur.ms and slurCubic.ms and with the combination Alt Gr + @.
I was wondering if this is not possible automatically.
The slurs above the joining bar of the two notes often take away space and are also unsightly from a graphic point of view. I enclose two images that explain better than many words.

Here in my city (Trento, northern Italy) wonderful autumn weather, wonderful colors and almost summer temperatures.
Good Sunday.
Lorenzo

translated with google translator

Re: internal and external slur

Reply #1
I'm not sure if I am understanding you properly but you can move a noteworthy slur from above the joining bar to above the noteheads by using the marker (key @) and selecting slur. You can then position both ends of the slur (needs two markers one before each end of the slur) to the vertical position that you want the ends of the slurs to be placed.

Rich.

Reply #2
I'm not sure if I am understanding you properly
Unfortunately with the translator - and with the writer  :D   - you run this risk!

Yes, I worked with the @ marker, I just wanted to know if there was a quicker immediate method. I will continue with marker @ and with the two users slur.ms. Thanks Richard!
Lorenzo

Reply #3
OK !

Just to confirm that I do not think that there is a way to do this automatically.

Rich.

Reply #4
If you use the built-in slur marker feature for this type of slur, you will notice that the end points of the slur will touch the stems of the notes, because the marker only changes the vertical position of the slur. Using Slur.ms or SlurCubic.ms will give a better appearance since they default to an internal slur and will allow horizontal adjustment of the endpoints.  In practice, when you use either of the Slur objects, you will probably want to also use a marker to suppress the built-in slur from appearing, by using the Visibility: Never feature.

Reply #5
That's right, Mike! In fact, the contact of the internal slur with the stems of the notes is not stylistically pleasant: the ends of the slur should be slightly spaced from the stem of the notes. So with the users mentioned the stylistic problem is solved in an excellent way, even if, when there are many of these two-note groups, the work is long and very patient.
In my opinion, being notes at different pitches, you don't even need to add the ligature (;): just enter the user.
Many thanks.
Lorenzo

Reply #6
Here is a trick that might save you some time on a long score. If you have numerous beamed notes for which you want to add internal slurs, add a Slur.ms object to the first pair, configuring the slur direction and offsets as needed. Then, copy the user object to your clipboard, and then paste the object to the other note pairs. The copied object will remember the settings, that should save you some time.

Reply #7
Great thanks! I have already seen that the settings of both slur.ms and slurCubic.ms are kept, making the work significantly easier.
Lorenzo