Skip to main content
Topic: Tie position (Read 1502 times) previous topic - next topic

Tie position

Hello, I ask if it is possible to move the tie up or down when it covers notes of other voices. I enclose example. Thanks.
Lorenzo

PS: I apologize if my requests are sometimes unclear. They are translated by the online translator...

Re: Tie position

Reply #1
Yes,  go to the properties for the note where the tie starts
(highlight note and then ALT and ENTER)
Then select Tie Direction "Downward"  instead of "Default"

HTH
Rich.

Reply #2
Yes,  go to the properties for the note where the tie starts
(highlight note and then ALT and ENTER)
Then select Tie Direction "Downward"  instead of "Default"

HTH
I don't know if reversing the tie direction will be what he wants. If you do that, the tie will cut through the half note stem. But maybe that is preferable to having it cut through the note head.

Reply #3
Thanks Richard. My request was another, that is to raise the tie both at the beginning and at the end to prevent the curve from touching the note of the lower voice. I solved it, at least graphically, by inserting a User "Slur.ms" and raising the Y offsets by half a point. See attachment. I didn't check if even using slur.ms and not the more correct tie, the sound is maintained.
If this works, the User "Slur.ms" is also great for tied!

Reply #4
I was going to recommend a slur object, except that you would need to remove the tie, and thus the score won't play back correctly. But if you just want the correct appearance when printing, then a slur object will do what you need.

I might suggest using a SlurCubic.ms for this case, since you can adjust the shape of the curve to more closely match the appearance of a tie. Although they are similar in appearance, ties and slurs have slightly difference shapes and rules for positioning. I'm attaching a sample I created.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply #5
With this observation I close my interventions on the subject. Actually the sound with the user "slur.ms" is not linked (the notes are joined only graphically). I thought I read here in the forum that there is the possibility to work graphically on the slur with "slur.ms", keeping the tied but making it invisible. So, in the drawing, slur, in the sound tie.
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks. Have a good evening.
Lorenzo

Reply #6
In NWC it is possible to hide a native slur, and then add a Slur.ms or SlurCubic.ms, which as you noted, is drawn only (does not affect playback). Unfortunately, it's not possible to hide a tie. The only way to have a sounded tie without the marking would be to add the tied notes to a hidden staff, and then mute the visible untied notes.

Mike