Skip to main content
Topic: Insert text (Read 1974 times) previous topic - next topic

Insert text

I still ask for your invaluable help. It often happens to me that the lyrics of a song, for example when there are many lines, freezes on the "100" position and then it is not possible to insert other lines.
Perhaps the picture explains my problem better: the space inside the red border is not usable.
Thanks and happy Sunday to you. Lorenzo

Re: Insert text

Reply #1
Hi mate,
not quite sure what you're asking.

Is your example a single text entry?  If so how did you get the line breaks?

Perhaps you could create a sample .nwc file and post it so we can investigate on a live example.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks Lawrie. The verses are inserted as "text" (x). I distance the lines from each other by a number of spaces (from 6 to 8) and the verse from the refrain by a larger space (I always use 10). These numbers are derived from the "position" that appears in the text window. What I'm wondering is why I can't go beyond position 100 if the page is practically blank. I attach the nwc file.
Lorenzo

Reply #3
Hey Lorenzo,
looks like you're running into a POS limit for the staff.

What that means is that one of the parameters for a note, or other staff object, is it's "POS" or position on the staff. 
When I checked I found the limit seems to be + or - 99, with POS 0 being the middle line of the staff.

Perhaps you could try a PageTxtMaestro and a PageTxt object.

I've attached such an example.  The text written into the PageTxt object is:

Din don din don...%br%Campane del Campanil Basso, la torre più bella del mondo,%br%Un bacio all\'attacco, un fior che rincora la cima, la cima lassù,%br%Discendi in agili volte, ritorna al rifugio quaggiù, quaggiù.%br%La pietra di Dio è il sentiero, la corda un legame di cuori.%br%Suonate, campane, il più vero ardir degli umani valori.%br%Un bacio all\'attacco...%br%Pareti dorate, lesene, sconfinan nel cielo infinito:%br%segnate squillanti quel passo, che sale, che sale giocondo.

Note that this is one continuous line in the Text field.  The %br% directives are line breaks.  You cannot control the spacing between lines.

If you run out of characters in the Text field, you can just create a second PageTxt object with a different name and put the extra characters in it.  Use the same parameters for the second object as for the first EXCEPT for the name, the Y offset and of course the text content. 
OR
This object in the example is called Lyric1, you could copy this object, change its name to, say, Lyric2, and change the content of the text and Y offset fields.

Reply #4
Actually, you can place a text at e.g. Position -120 - see attached example: Write -99 into the "Position" field, press OK. Then, highlight the text (Shift-arrow), and now you can shift it down further with Ctrl-Shift-Downarrow. The file with this "out of bounds" text can be saved, opened and printed without problems. The only limitation is that you cannot easily modify (e.g., correct) the text, as the dialog will then tell you that -120 is out of bounds - so you have to write -99 in there again and then shift it down as above once more.

... but of course, that's more of a bug than a feature, I'd say.

H.M.

Reply #5
<snip> as the dialog will then tell you that -120 is out of bounds - so you have to write -99 in there again and then shift it down as above once more.

... but of course, that's more of a bug than a feature, I'd say.

Cool.  The limit is in the dialogue rather than the data store.  This means that a user tool like Global_Mod could probably also change it (the POS).
I wonder what the datastore limit is...

Reply #6
As always, you are very kind and thorough in your answers. I will try the indicated methods and then I will choose the most valid for my works. They are mostly four-voice manly songs ("mountain choirs", tenors I and II, baritones and basses) with lyrics made up of verses and refrains. I prefer to insert the first line as the line count and then report all the text separately. My difficulties also arise from my almost no knowledge of the English language. So thank you again for your patience. Lorenzo

Reply #7
This means that a user tool like Global_Mod could probably also change it (the POS).
I wonder what the datastore limit is...

I tried a 4 pt staff on an A0 page (about 1,40 m height, more than 4'): Position -6800 at the very bottom was nicely printed on this 1 m² page. I don't see why a Position value of e.g. -1,000,000 on a 1 km² page wouldn't also work perfectly  :D For a technical limit, integral numbers in programs usually are limited to about plus or minus 2^31 = about 2 (US) billion; but floating point numbers can represent more than all of the known universe ...

H.M.

Reply #8
As is right, I am attaching the result of my work. Since the chorus cannot be separated from the lines vertically, I created a small indent, lengthening the blank after the second "%". On the other hand, I do not understand HMüller's latest remarks.
Lorenzo

Reply #9
On the other hand, I do not understand HMüller's latest remarks.
Please ignore them! - they do not solve any of your problems. I just wanted to contribute to Lawrie's "datastore limit" question, which is a purely technical detail.

H.M.

Reply #10
Cool.  The limit is in the dialogue rather than the data store.
Lawrie, don't you remember the old times when to hide the rest in a restchord the rest was shifted at 2000 or so?  :D

Reply #11
Lawrie, don't you remember the old times when to hide the rest in a restchord the rest was shifted at 2000 or so?  :D
D'oh...
Now you mention it...  Actually, I still use that "feature" for rests when layering a "lyrics" staff with chords (as text entries) as invisible objects stopped taking up space and that caused problems for my process.

Reply #12
Hi everyone. Working on PageTxt.nw I found that you can space lines using two "% br%", separated by a space. Maybe you already knew, but I would like confirmation. I enclose example of my song.
Have a good evening.
Lorenzo