Skip to main content
Topic: Stop and resume as directed = "railroad ties" (Read 1564 times) previous topic - next topic

Stop and resume as directed = "railroad ties"

I wonder how if at all possible enter "railroad ties", like this?<Image Link> I'm not sure the image is attached - it's two parallel lines on the 5th line of the staff meaning stop and wait for direction to resume
RusskiBass

Re: Stop and resume as directed = "railroad ties"

Reply #1
... image is missing. Edit your message with "More... Modify", and pull the image onto the area below the text area (do not create an image link with the symbol above). Then we'll see!

H.M.

Reply #2
I believe you're looking for a caesura.

| Insert | Tempo Variance... | Tempo Variance (tab) | Select Caesura from the list box | Adjust parameters as required... <OK>

The position is adjustable like just about everything else.

If you have multiple staves, only adjust the delay on ONE staff and leave the others at 0 (zero).  Otherwise the delays are aggregated and it will take longer than you expect.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Lawrie, yes, YES what we, barbershoppers affectionately call "railroad ties" is indeed Caesura! And I found it. The question now is how to get it closer to the note where break is required?
RusskiBass

Reply #4
Lawrie, yes, YES what we, barbershoppers affectionately call "railroad ties" is indeed Caesura! And I found it.
<snip>
In my world they're often called "Tram Tracks" :D

<snip>
The question now is how to get it closer to the note where break is required?

That would be the usual spacing techniques.
  • You can position vertically by selecting the anchor and <Shift+Ctrl+Up/Down Arrow>
  • You can justify (select the anchor) and press <Alt+Enter>.  In the properties dialogue select the "Placement" tab and change "Justification" and "Alignment/Placement" to suit.
  • You can add spacer objects <Insert> to move things around.
I usually place them as right justified, best fit, NO preserve width.  Then put a spacer or 2 to the right of them to move them away from the object to their right.  HOWEVER, if you want to move it close to the preceding note then place a single spacer to their left, and then add spacers to their right to move them to the leftwards to where you want them.

Experiment.  Spacers are wonderful positioning gadgets ;)

Reply #5
Experiment.  Spacers are wonderful positioning gadgets ;)
Also, remember that spacers don't just add space, they can actually remove space. When you insert a spacer, it replaces whatever space is between those two objects by default, so if the width of the spacer is less than the natural space, they will get closer together, or they will actually touch, if you set the spacer width to zero.

Reply #6
<snip> ... if you set the spacer width to zero.
Thanks Mike, that's a new one for me.  I use spacers all the time and never once thought to set one to zero.