Skip to main content
Topic: Arpeggio symbol help please (Read 1625 times) previous topic - next topic

Arpeggio symbol help please

Can someone kindly explain the meaning of these two arpeggios.
(I mean of course the lines connecting each arpeggiated chord to the Cnat) - and can it be achieved in NoteWorthy either with Mike's arpeggio.ms or by manually writing it out.
Thanks.

Rich.

Re: Arpeggio symbol help please

Reply #1
See attachments for meaning (assuming that the clefs are treble and bass on the two systems), and how to create this with Arpeggio.ms and Markup.rg. I am not sure why this is written like that - is this for harp? - then, I guess, it has to do with the pedal settings that one would not write it with d-flat (however, I'd have guessed that especially for harp one would write it with different diatonic notes ...).

H.M.

Reply #2
Thanks - but what does it actually mean ? and why can't I find it in say Elaine Gould's Behind Bars or Alfred's Musical reference. It's for the piano

Is it very old ?

R.

Rich.

Reply #3
The meaning is "play c-sharp and c-natural together" - it is in "Behind Bars" on p.50 under "Altered unisons".

On the piano, c-sharp is the same key on the keyboard as d-flat, so my alternative notation above (the first one) definitely sounds the same; and is, I'd say, more easily readable - so I don't understand why it is written with this (quite new, I'd say) "altered unison chord notation".

H.M.

Reply #4
Thanks so much. Got the reference now.
Would have helped if I had known the name I guess.

Happy new year

R.
Rich.

Reply #5
Harp? Nope!
The (classic or orchestral) harp is tuned in Cb and you have a pedal for each (diatonic, seven) note.
With the pedals you can rise the notes (all the notes of the same name in all the octaves) by one or two semitones.
Differently said, each note pedal has three positions: flat, natural and sharp.

Of course you can have both a B# and a C# but, indeed, this is written B# and C#, not C and C#.
You can not put the same pedal in two different positions at once!  ;)

Reply #6
Thanks for explanation and confirmation that it is like I thought ... I just got irritated by Richard's example so much that, well, ...

All the best for 2022!

H.M.

Reply #7
I blame Benjamin Britten !

R.
Rich.