Skip to main content
Topic: Decresendo over multiple bars and tied chords (Read 2600 times) previous topic - next topic

Decresendo over multiple bars and tied chords

In my latest composition, I have a section involving identical semibreve triad chords which extend over a number of bars. The chords are tied across the barlines. I have a forte dynamic marking at the beginning of the sequence and a piano marking at the end. At the beginning of the bar following the f marking, I have place a decresendo. For some obscure reason, the latter is being ignored and there is no dynamic variance. If I untie the chords, however, the dynamic shading can be clearly heard. What is the reason for the problem and its solution, please?

Re: Decresendo over multiple bars and tied chords

Reply #2
Thanks to everyone for the response to my request. The problem is solved, and very effectively too. The only other time I've tinkered with the MIDI Volume settings was when I was having 'too-abrupt' endings to my compositions when playing them back as MIDI files and I had to work out a method of adding a delay (time-wise) at the end. If anyone has had a problem there, I am happy to describe what I've done to overcome it.