Skip to main content
Topic: Is anyone using a Windows environment to run NWC on a MAc? (Read 2467 times) previous topic - next topic

Is anyone using a Windows environment to run NWC on a MAc?

Hi peoples,
a buddy of mine is interested in a notation product and has indicated an interest in NWC, BUT he only has a Mac.

Now I'm well aware that NWC is Windows only, BUT I also know that there are users out there using wine to run under various linux flavours.

My question is are there any users that have had any success with NWC in any of the Windows environments that exist for Mac.  Not looking for things like bootcamp, or any other dual/multi boot solutions, just an environment along the lines of wine.

Thank you,
Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Is anyone using a Windows environment to run NWC on a MAc?

Reply #1
Hi Lawrie,

Although maybe not quite what you want, I know of something that does work well and so I will document it for you.

As you know, I make up NoteWorthy rehearsal files for my choir and I also run demonstrations of it using both the composer and the viewer (When choirs were allowed !!!!)

Most of the choristers are University students who use a MAC.  The question every time is "Will it work on a MAC?"
The program I recommend to them is a program called Crossover by a company called Codeweavers . (You can Google it).
This is a program that runs on a MAC (and other systems) but which allows you to run many Windows programs. Two of the programs that run are Composer and Viewer.

I don't own a MAC and so I don't need to use it but historically, I know that the students that have used it have been pleased with the results and I therefore always recommend it every time I run a demonstration.

There is an option to try it for free before purchasing.
Rich.

Reply #2
Awesome, thanks Rich.

Anyone else?

Reply #3
This is a really interesting question for me too!
A friend of mine has been in the same situation for years... "so... is it already OSX compatible?" he asks everytime we meet.
I think some people runs it using WINE, a Windows emulation for OSX, but if anyone has any other options (other from Rich's or WINE) we'll be glad to listen to it!!  ;D

Thanks friends!!
D.
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #4
Does wine run in OSX?  Didn't know that.  I am aware that there are Ubuntu users using wine for NWC.

Reply #5
You can use Wine or Crossover. Crossover is essentially the commercial version of Wine for people who want to run Microsoft Office. I’ve used WineBottler in the past - it’s a pretty simple GUI/wrapper for Wine - just point it at the NWC installer and it creates a Mac app out of it. It looks like the last update was in 2019, though, so development may have fallen off.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #6
Thanks guys - this has been productive and may help others too.  Unfortunately my mate decided to try out Musescore (apparently there's a mac version) instead so we may have lost another user  :(

Reply #8
Thanks guys - this has been productive and may help others too.  Unfortunately my mate decided to try out Musescore (apparently there's a mac version) instead so we may have lost another user  :(

I hope they at least give NWC a try at some point. I would a million times rather NWC in Wine than native Musescore!
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI