Skip to main content
Topic: Melisma (Read 1722 times) previous topic - next topic

Melisma

Good day. I always follow you with interest even if I chew very little English (blessed are the online translators!). I came across a passage during a transcript that I solved as you can see in the attachments. To obtain the melisma line, with the traditional slur of the toolbar, you get a rather ugly arc, as seen in Annex 1. By reversing the stem of the first octave, the result is very good (Annex 2), but, since it is a choral voice (I did not put the lower voice), the stem would collide with this voice. The first solution (annex 3) consists in keeping all the stems up, shortening the one of the first octave (second note): in my opinion, not bad. Obviously the u.t. "Melismatic" is inserted. The alternative "text" remains, with the creation of the slur through u.t., magnificent from the graphic point of view (annex 4), but with the problems of the "text" in the creation of the melisma line. Do you have other solutions? Thank you for your patience. Lorenzo

Re: Melisma (or, rather, slurs)

Reply #1
Hi -

Here are a few variants, using "slur markers" ("Insert" -> "Marker").
In each example, there is a marker in front of each of the three notes for lyrics "-tor", especially in front of the middle one: By this, you can pull the slur down, even into the stem of the note - see third example!

The third attachment (VariousSlursEditMode.PNG) shows the markers - they are visible in NWC as little triangles. I have marked three of them in yellow as they are a little bit hard to find  ;)

The fourth variant uses a beam with somewhat shortened stems.

The fifth version separates the slur logic (for the melisma) from the drawn slur:
  • There is a single "slur marker" in front of the first note, which is set to "Visibility=Never"; by this, the NWC slur becomes invisible (it is visible in grey in the ...EditMode image);
  • Separately, a slur is drawn with the Slur.ms user object, which can have any form you want.

H.M.

Re: Melisma

Reply #2
Many thanks for the prompt and thorough reply! I did not know the "marker" function. I will practice after this valuable tip.
Out of topic, may I know how did you create the png image files so quickly? [/ i]
Briefly my (not short) procedure:
print from NWC in pdf of the joke in object ---> transformation of the pdf into png or jpg ---> processing of the image file
In short, it took me almost three hours! There has to be a shorter method!
Thanks again and bye!
Lorenzo

Reply #3
Hi Lorenzo -

Re images:

On Windows, there is a software called "Snipping Tool" (if you press the Windows key and then type snip, you should see it; Enter will start it). With it, you can take a "photograph" of a part of the screen, just as you see it. Crtl-S ("Save") will save it as a PNG (or a JPG, if you select this).

If you want to show the print result of an NWC score, it is often enough to press F11 (switch to/from "Viewer Mode") to get an acceptable image.

H.M.

Reply #4
Thank you so much again! Lorenzo

Reply #5
Hello, I wake you up from your mid-August sleep with this question. Return to the melisma problem. Is it possible to join two notes of the same pitch with slur.ms and keep the melisma on the final note? As I hope I have correctly indicated in the two annexes (single parts and joined parts), a tie line of the bass part overlaps the baritone part. I created a slur line (slur.ms, in red) by lowering it until it does not cover the baritone note. But in doing so the melisma on the second note disappears. In practice, the tie line only serves to maintain the melisma, which must be there. Thanks to you and have a nice warm day.
Lorenzo

Reply #6
Sorry, I solved it with the markers on the slur line. Cordial greetings.
Lorenzo