Skip to main content
Topic: Custom Templates in NWC 1.75 (Read 3489 times) previous topic - next topic

Custom Templates in NWC 1.75

Could somebody please tell me where Custom Templates for NWC 1.75 are hidden in Windows 10?
I would like to delete some templates that I no longer use.
Thanks
Graham

Re: Custom Templates in NWC 1.75

Reply #1
Under Tools-->Options-->tab Folders, you can see the entry "Templates:". This is the directory where NWC looks for templates.
Subfolders of this directory are shown as tabs in the "Song Templates" dialog that comes up on "New...".

H.M.

Reply #2
And if you select the line "templates:" and click the button "Explore..." you get there easily.

Reply #3
C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Composer\Template\Custom does not show all the templates that come up when I click File>New>Custom.  That's what is baffling me!

Reply #4
Are you really talking about NWC 1.75? :o

Reply #5
Yes - I use it for creating MIDI files because NWC 2.75 doesn't export to MIDI properly.

Reply #6
C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Composer\Template\Custom does not show all the templates that come up when I click File>New>Custom.  That's what is baffling me!
Hi Graham,
it's so long since I even looked at 1.75 that I really don't know what to suggest other than this:
  • Go through the steps to create a new file from a custom template and identify a truly unique template name.
  • Use Windows Explorer to do a search of your whole drive to locate every example of this name.
    If there is only one, then I think you've found it and the location will be evident - to confirm, change the name then open NWC again to confirm the name change by going through the new file dialogue.
  • If there are more than one, do some name changes that make it obvious to you where each one is and then go through the new file dialogue again and the name change will tell you where NWC is looking

WARNING: you will need to be in administrator mode for this to work if the file(s) in question are in directories (folders) protected by the operating system:
  • Use the search field (type here to search) on the status bar at the bottom to search for "Explorer"
  • In the section titled "Command" click on the ">" to the right of the word "explorer"
  • Select the "Run as Administrator" option and follow the prompts, allowing explorer to make changes
  • There are other ways to run as administrator, but this one will work

Be aware, it is my personal experience that Windows Explorer search misses files sometimes.  I have found it to be disappointingly unreliable, BUT it still works well enough to give an indication.  Caveat here, most of my searches are to my home network server and it is entirely likely that a search on a local drive will be more reliable.

NB it might be possible to find the location in the registry but I wouldn't count on it - 1.75 is old enough that I seem to recall it did not use the registry nearly as extensively as V2.x.  Actually, thinking about it, I seem to recall 1.x used .ini files...  Perhaps you could locate the relevant .ini file(s).
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Windows Explorer search misses files sometimes.
Saepe ac libenter! ("often and willingly")
I completely disabled it and I'm using fileseek instead. Even the free version is quite useful.

Reply #8
NWC 1.75 by default saved the templates in "C:\Programs\NoteWorthy Composer\Template"
If changed at least once from the default the path is stored in "C:\Programs\NoteWorthy Composer\NWC.INI", as Lawrie wrote, under
[Folders]
Templates=C:\Programs\NoteWorthy Composer\Template
Take note that in the more recent releases of Windows the directories under C:\Programs are protected and need special autorizations to be modified.

Reply #9
Yes - I use it for creating MIDI files because NWC 2.75 doesn't export to MIDI properly.
I would be interested to know what differences you are encountering in MIDI export, that you feel are incorrect with the current version of NWC. I have never encountered bad MIDI exports with it. If you have a sample score that exhibits this, that would be helpful (I still have my NWC 1.75b CD around here somewhere, I supposed it will still install under Windows 10. Or perhaps there is a portable version on the CD)

Reply #10
Hi Mike
Strictly speaking, it's not NWC2's exporting to MIDI that is the problem.  NWC2 doesn't like a string of Instrument changes with no notes between them.  This thread explains:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=10016.0
Graham

Reply #11
Or perhaps there is a portable version on the CD
Negative.

Reply #12
To Lawrie and Flurmy - thank you, guys, for your input.

I created a unique template name as suggested by Lawrie, but I couldn't do the stuff with Windows Explorer and I couldn't make any sense of FileSeek  :-[
HOWEVER, using the Windows 10 Folder Search tool, I manged to track down the templates that are not in C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Composer\Template\Custom.
They are in C:\Users\fghar\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Composer\Template\Custom !!
Heaven knows what governs the choice of destination for the template!

Reply #14
<snip>
HOWEVER, using the Windows 10 Folder Search tool, I manged to track down the templates that are not in C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Composer\Template\Custom.
They are in C:\Users\fghar\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Composer\Template\Custom !!
Heaven knows what governs the choice of destination for the template!
Happy to try and help Graham.

For the life of me I don't know what they're doing there!  NWC2.x in Win10 I could almost understand, but V1.75?  Surely this has to be a Win10 thing, interfering with the applications designed behaviour just to suit m$ preferences :(

It's no wonder win10 broke so many applications :(

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #15
Hi Mike
Strictly speaking, it's not NWC2's exporting to MIDI that is the problem.  NWC2 doesn't like a string of Instrument changes with no notes between them.  This thread explains:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=10016.0
Graham
Thanks for the reminder. I should have remembered this, since I did participate on that other thread.

I will let Lawry and Flurmy continue helping you with the custom template thing in NWC 1.75. Perhaps in the background, we'll figure out a way to correct the NWC 2.75 MIDI export behavior so it handles program changes more consistently.