Skip to main content
Topic: Help with repeats (Read 1721 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with repeats

I have entered my arrangement of "Country Roads." It has, in order,
1. A local repeat open
2. A first ending
3. A local repeat close (marked as the second one because I couldn't make it the first one)
4. Immediately following 3., a second ending

When I play it, it plays from the beginning to the end of the first repeat, then goes back to 1. repeats it twice through the first ending, then stops. I want it to go through the first ending, repeat once, then play the second ending.
This seems that it should be simple, but I've played with a lot of different arrangements of elements 1.-4. without success.
Can someone tell me how to make ti work?
Many thanks.
If needed, I can upload the file.
Lloyd Edwards

Re: Help with repeats

Reply #1
Main rule: Don't use local repeats. They are not actually (or at least often) used in musical notation and are more of a nice hack for special repetitions*, with the symbols made invisible. Try it with normal repeats.

H.M.

* There's one in Tchaikovsky's String Serenade in C, with an old "bis" ("[play] twice") annotation - see attachment.

Reply #2
As Harald says, don't use local repeats. They are not designed to work with special endings They should only be used to repeat a section with no differences at the final bars.

Master repeats, however, work well with special endings and there are many tricks that various users have managed to incorporate using both of these.

Rich.

Reply #3
There's one in Tchaikovsky's String Serenade in C, with an old "bis" ("[play] twice") annotation
What can be done to save just a couple of bars!
I never saw the "bis" before.
More frequently I saw the slanted slash crossing two bars.

Reply #4
Many thanks. I'll give it a try. NWC is such a powerful program, and my file is so simple, I knew there was a simpler way to do this. I just couldn't find it or figure it out.
Much appreciated!