Skip to main content
Topic: there is no sound coming out (Read 7824 times) previous topic - next topic

there is no sound coming out

there is no sound coming out whenever i play my compositions. What am i supposed to do? Also the creative SBPCI synthesizer always fails to open properly. Please help me. How do i fix this?

Re: there is no sound coming out

Reply #2
the problem is though, that i dont have "ensoniq", i have "creative". so i cant look for an ensonique device. what should i do?

Reply #3
The SB PCI128 is the same thing as the Ensoniq PCI128. Ensoniq was bought out by Creative Labs (home of the SB) which is why the name change. Same board, same drivers, same problems... ;-)

Fred

Reply #4
when i go to multimedia:devices: midi devices and instruments,i have two sections: "MIDI for creative sound blaster PCI (WDM)" and "MIDI for WDM-based devices". In the "MIDI for creative sound blaster PCI (WDM)",there are three files. They are: "creative SBPCI External MIDI", "Creative SBPCI synthesizer", and "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth". Are u implying that i should delete those three files?

Reply #5
No, if those devices show up, they're present on your system... if you delete them, they won't work anymore unless you do a complete reinstall. The devices you listed do the following:

1: Creative SBPCI External MIDI - select this if you have an external keyboard connected (via the joystick port) and you want to send midi output to it, instead of to the sound card.

2: Creative SBPCI synthesizer - this is the synthesizer on your sound card. It requires the *.ecw files in your Windows/System directory in order to operate, you select which one (eapci2m.ecw=2 meg, eapci4m.ecw=4 meg or eapci8m.ecw=8 meg) using the cyan-colored mixer icon in your system tray (Waveset manager). This is the Ensoniq sound system, and its volume balance is adjusted with the "Synthesizer" control.

3: Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth - this is an alternate midi driver you can use, it uses the Microsoft/Roland software synthesizer that comes with many later versions of Windows. It actually uses the "wave" device, so you'll have to be sure to have the wave volume turned up to use this.
If you select either 2: or 3: you should get sound from your sound card. Be sure that the appropriate volume controls are enabled and turned up in the volume control applet (the little yellow speaker icon) in the system tray.

Hope this helps...
Fred

Reply #6
i cant believe how much of an idiot i am!!! haha. i just had to turn up the sound and that was it. WOW. By the way, i have to say u really know ur stuff. Do you work for Noteworthy?

Reply #7
M.E. wrote - Do you work for Noteworthy?

Thanks for the compliment, but no. All the contributors you see here are private individuals who just really like this program and believe in it enough to help others out, and learn new things ourselves.

Any posts by NoteWorthy Software, Inc. will be clearly marked "NoteWorthy Support."
Glad you got your problem sorted out. :)

Fred

Reply #8
thats cool, well, anyway, take it easy, Fred. Im listening to moolight sonata now(it sounds so good every time u hear it). Take care.
-M.E.

Reply #9
I have an other question. when i play a very complex piece, i hear this fuzz. How do i get rid of it?

Reply #10
Hm... maybe you turned your volume up too much. [ducks before M.E. throws a tomato] ;-)

Fred

Reply #11
yeah, that works. [throws tomato anyway to test his own aim, yet misses Fred by a long shot] hehe

Reply #12
My computer crashed. I had Windows 98.  My hard drive was cleaned out & Windows 98SE was installed & everything else was upgraded.  Everything works great including CD's & other sounds except for my Media Player for Midi Files.  When I click on a music icon, the sound is on, the lever on the player moves but no sound.  On my master volume, all sounds are turned up but instead of "Midi" it says SW Synth now.  How can I hear my media player Midi files?  I am an old woman who has spent a week trying to fix it but don't understand nuttin'--Please help--thank you!

Reply #13
RE: Replies 9 and 10. Sounds like something from "Spinal Tap."

Yeah, man, like, I turned up the volume to 12, and the fuzz surrounded the joint.

Reply #14
Sandi, right click on the little speaker icon and select "open volume controls."  You'll get a display of audio properties.  If Midi Balance shows up in it, make sure the volume slider for it is up a bit, and there is no check in the mute box.

If Midi balance isn't displayed, select options, properties.  Put an X in the Midi choice in the big window at the bottom of this pane, and click ok.

Go back to the Volume Control page and check the slider and mute box as above.

Next, open Media Player - go to tools, options, and then to the formats tab.  Make sure MIDI is selected in the available file formats window.

I hope these ideas work.  If not, check out windows help feature.  Go to your desktop, and then press F1.  When the help menu comes up, look for "troubleshooting."

Good luck.

Reply #15
still no icon  or volume

Reply #16
If the 'Volume Control' program is not in the list of 'Start Up' programs, the icon may not be displayed.
Open it by Start\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment\Volume Control