Skip to main content
Topic: Variances and Dynamics (Read 2346 times) previous topic - next topic

Variances and Dynamics

In many of my music books, there are scores using the phrase "poco cresc." for a dynamic variance, and "sf" and "fp" for dynamics.  Are there equivalents in NWC?

Re: Variances and Dynamics

Reply #1
You can insert dyanamic variances, but you only have 5 choices, including sfz but not sf.

For the ohers you have to use text with perhaps the staff italic font.

To get the playback effect, you'd use the Insert menu to open a MultiPoint Controller, which can then be used to alter the sound to give you these dynamic effects.

MPC's are complicated; I'm about ready to fall asleep so I'd suggest checking to see if there's anything relevant in the user tips http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/usertips/

Reply #2
poco cresc isn't hard, and doesn't need the MPC.

The "real" cresc varies the volume (or whatever, I still haven't internalized the distinctions among volume, velocity and expression, anyway it makes things get louder) starting at the closest dynamic marker (p, mp, etc) to its left and the closest (mf, f, ff, etc.) to its right.  This has two implications.

First, you MUST insert markers where the crescendo is to start and stop.  Normally, the starting dynamic is inherited from someplace way back in the past (i.e., to the left, although it could be from one to the right but before a repeat, watch out for that, or use it), but you don't want the crescendo to start back there.  So, you insert a marker, which is superfluous to the human reader, but required by the computer, and then make it not visible.

Second, poco cresc simply means increasing the loudness slowly, so you only have to place the start and stop dynamic markers far apart.

Cyril

Reply #3
I think it might be useful to add a little clarification to Cyril's reply.  The crescendo will start from the crescendo mark (not the preceding dynamic marking) and will end at the next dynamic marking.  For example, if you have

p [10 bars] cresc [15 bars] ff.

The piano marking will remain in effect for bars 1-10 and then the dynamic will gradually increase (poco a poco) until you reach fortissimo after 25 bars.

To get a poco cresc marking to show up on a printed score as well as taking effect during play back, insert a standard cresc dynamic variance and set visibility to never. Then insert "poco cresc" as text.

HTH

Stephen