Skip to main content
Topic: Clef, Key Sig. and Time Sig. (Read 3978 times) previous topic - next topic

Clef, Key Sig. and Time Sig.

Can someone tell me how I can remove the clef, key signature and time signature from each subsequent line after the first???

Re: Clef, Key Sig. and Time Sig.

Reply #1
Not sure why you'd wanna do this, but at the second line of music (use the preview), add the clef and key sig again, highlight them, make them hidden.  Don't worry about the time sig; it automatically doesn't repeat.

Reply #2
I play in a bigband and I have noticed that the scores often omit the key signature after the first line. Personally I find this an immense pain and most unhelpful, especially in pieces where there are a number of key changes, so that, by the time I get to the end of a number, I've often lost track of what key I'm supposed to be in! Whenever the band plays one of my own arrangements or transciptions, they always get the key signature at the beginning of each bar.

Reply #3
...they always get the key signature at the beginning of each bar.
You do mean "at the beginning of each line (or system)," don't you?

Reply #4
...an immense pain and most unhelpful
It's not so bad when you are playing straight through the chart, but when you are rehearsing, and your leader says, "OK, let's go from the pick-up to E," and you're frantically looking for the last key signature, and you still haven't found it when you hear "1, 2, 1 2 3 ,"
THAT'S when it's a pain!

Reply #5
Ah, you jazz guys ain't seen nothin'!

Try doing pit orchestra work, doubling instruments in different keys.  Last show I played, there were about 25 songs in the book, each in a new key and many of them changed keys several times.  I think the bari sax player, who also doubled banjo, clarinet and bass clarinet, had 93 key changes in his book.

The copyist recorded the key at the beginning of the top line on a page, and then the new key signature wherever it happened in the middle of the line.  I think, but don't recall for sure, that he would put the new key sig on the next lines as well.

Reply #6
...he would put the new key sig on the next lines as well.
If he did, then it's not a problem.  The problem lies in not having the key signature at the beginning of each line.

I've also done quite a lot of pit orchestra work.  Sometimes when a reed player switches to an instrument of a different transposition, a key signature is indicated in all of the other books as well, even though nobody else changes key.  That just leaves ya wonderin'...

Reply #7
...and the times when your part is tacet, but they still give you a key signature.  Guess they don't want you falling asleep!!

Reply #8
"new key sig on the next lines "

Sorry, my grammar didn't work on this.  I intended that to mean on the immediately following line.  So if you have, say, a key change in the middle of the third line on your page, I don't remember if the copyist usually puts it also at the beginning of the fourth line.  Certainly they usually don't show it on the fifth, sixth, seventh, etc.