Skip to main content
Topic: recording NWC files onto CD (Read 9247 times) previous topic - next topic

recording NWC files onto CD

I asked if anyone could help in suggesting a way to record NWC files onto CD(R or RW). Someone suggested "COOLEDIT":
Cooledit admits "Cooledit cannot convert midi files into wave files."
Someone else suggested "AUDIO COMPOSITOR":
Audiocompositor admits that "AC will only take you as far as the wav file; you'll need another software to get onto CD"
Grateful to the authors of suggestions but the problem remains.

Re: recording NWC files onto CD

Reply #1
As written earlier ( https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1036#reply3 ) the piece of software you need is a software such as EasyCD Creator, Toast Pro or other. You should have one along with your CD Recorder, but it is often "LE" (Light Edition, or should I say Limited Edition :( ) softwares.
Basically, when you get WAV files (44100Hz, stereo, 16bits), you'll need to create a description of your Audio-CD; in some software, it's with glisser-déplacer (dragNdrop?), sometimes selecting files one by one. As I do this work on McIntosh, I can't help you much further, but many people here have helped others with the same troubles.
As-tu essayé de downloader le "Offline Forum" ? Tu peux y faire toutes les recherches en local sur toutes les questions/réponses déjà faites ici (ce qui m'a permis de trouver en 3 secondes les références https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=784 (déjà citée) et https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=968 ...). Une aide précieuse pour tous sujets.
P.S je ne suis pas le webmaster de mail.dotcom.fr :-) C'est juste un "alias" créé pour gérer le site d'un ami...

HTH,
web.master@mail.dotcom.fr

Reply #2
Roland

As I remember your question was:-

"As far as I know NWC files (or midi files) must first be converted into .WAV files and this I can't do.
Any suggestion as to an available programme of conversion."

Despite your reply Cool Edit does do the conversion from midi to wav.
I use this method often.

Reply #3
Barry: NWC to MID conversion lose sometimes some info... (I think of Fermata and breath marks)
A good way is to record what your soundcard produces when F4 in NWC ... if your mix table allows you to do it (my old SB16 softwares do)

HTH,
      Marsu

Reply #4
to Barry:
Thank you Barry. I was told by "Cooledit" himself (itself? herself" that what they offered was NOT a CONVERSION. I am not good enough to decide if what they offer is good enough for me.
Anyway my problem is solved by audiocompositor and easyCD.
Thank you all the same for your interest and suggestions.
All the best !

Reply #5
Your right - I dont know if the quality would be suitable although I think Fred Nachbaur uses Cool Edit to produce his audio from midi - perhaps we should ask him.

I use Cool Edit to convert sections of downloaded midi files with Spectrograph to determine the harmonic structure of chords I cant make out by ear - so my quality requirements are different.

I have downloaded Auto Compositor (demo).
I'd be interested in your experience with the software.
I use an AWE32 with an 8MB ram and I wondered if I could actually use a larger sound font (like Chaos12) unloaded but accessed through AC for playback.
It seems this may be possible - true?

Reply #6
hi Barry,

The full version of audiocompositor is much better than the demo.
I cannot answer the rest of your question because i just dabble in music and my experience with audiocompositor is very,very limited.
You'll find someone !

Reply #7
Yes I use CoolEdit for recording midi files, the quality is no better and no less than the quality of the original midi. For that matter, Windows' "Sound Recorder" would work ok too, but doesn't allow much in the way of editing or post-processing (noise reduction, filtering, etc.)

I've even used CoolEdit to fix a big (3 second) tape dropout in an old recording that's precious to me, by splicing in that same riff from another part of the song. The result was seamless, and a lot less fiddly than cutting and splicing reel-to-reel tape.

Reply #9
I, too use Cool Edit, but in a slightly different manner. I use NWC to notate my song and then export it to a MIDI/audio sequencer where I tweak the backing tracks and then replace the guitar and vocal parts with audio. I use Cool Edit to record the playback of the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure that you could record playback from NWC in the same manner, though.

Hope this helps.

Reply #10
Hi, Fred,

If I understand you correcty you transfer music from a tape onto your computer or a CDR.

If so , I would be very interested in the means and the methods of doing so.

Salut

Reply #11
It's really quite simple in principle. Connect the output of the tape deck (e.g. 4-track) to the line input of the sound-card, open CoolEdit (or other wave recorder) and record. Save as a 44,100 Hz. stereo 16-bit wav or raw pcm file, from where it can be post-processed, tweaked, converted to mpeg (mp2 or mp3), saved to CD-R, even recorded back onto tape :-)

In practise, there's a lot of fiddling, everything from getting the instrument (track) balances right, setting levels, adding the right amount of reverb/chorus etc, noise reduction... you can spend alot of time until it's "just right" or as close as you can get....

Reply #12
You wanted to get audio versions of your NWC files onto CD, right?

If you just wanted the files, you could just burn them on...

But if you wanted the music, just do midi out from NWC into a synth, and then record the stuff through "line in" with software, and master the CD that way.

I don't use a synth though. I get my band to play the music and we record it with DAT or something and then use a studio to master the music.

REAL MUSIC!

Reply #13
Thank you. I shall have to think and act.

Reply #14
you should use WINAMP - to convert your midi files to wave format.
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:
GO INTO options THEN GO TO preferences AND YOU WILL SEE A SECTION HEADING FOR output plugins, YOU CAN CHANGE IT THERE, IF YOU CHOOSE nullsoft diskwriter plugin IT WILL ASK YOU FOR A LOCATION ON YOUR DRIVE TO WRITE wav FILES TO AND THEN YOU JUST CLICK ok TO RETURN BACK TO THE MAIN PLAYER SCREEN. GOODLUCK !!! send me some e-mail and let me know how you got on - ALSO - I am looking for osme decent midi files for backing tracks (Popular music)

Reply #15
Winamp's diskwriter plugin won't write midi files to wav's.
it only switches mp3 to wav

Reply #16
Try Gigasampler. The higher end versions will create audio disk files straight from midi. The quality depends on what instrument sample disk you have, and the best ones are quite expensive, but their general midi sample disk is much better than most hardware midi boards.

check it out at http://www.nemesysmusic.com/ and listen to their mp3 demos.

Noteworthy plus Gigasampler (or Gigastudio) makes a dynamite combination!!