Skip to main content
Topic: Midi files into links (Read 5702 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi files into links

How do I make my midi files that I composed on Noteworthy have a URL so that I can put them on my website which has these instructions:

Music: Enter the URL of the WAV or MIDI file you wish to use as your background music. NOTE: free sites such as Angelfire and Geocities won't let you link to music hosted on their site.

I'd appreciate any and all help. Thank you.

Re: Midi files into links

Reply #1
There are reasons why free sites usually won't let you link to music. One reason is that they don't want the sites to become anonymous exchanges for pirated music. The other is that if the music is popular (which it might be, if it's pirated!) then visitors might use a lot of bandwidth downloading it.

I assume that the music is your own, not pirated. Will your free site allow you to post ZIP files for download? If so, put your *.nwc files into a ZIP. On the web site, and in a text message within the ZIP, tell them where to get the free NWC Player (Windows only). Or, as you first suggested, you can ZIP your MIDI files, which can be played by various players without additional download.

Reply #2
I am the most computer illiterate person on the planet...
I don't know how to zip my midi files. All I know is that I need to some how make my midi file a link that looks something like http://www.example.midi...The free website I use asks for the url of the music file...Is there no other way?

Reply #3
Nick, If you have the file on your site, you need an
<a href="file name">Title</a> where the "file name" points to where the file is stored and Title is what the viewer clicks on to get it.

HTH

Tina

Reply #4
Nicholas, please visit this site: http://www.winzip.com/ for information on creating or reading zip files.
Since 1998

Reply #5
Do you have Windows XP? It may (or may not) be the case that you can create a ZIP file simply by right-clicking the MIDI file, then choosing Send to .. compressed (zipped) folder.

The reverse operation is achieved by double-clicking the ZIP file, then choosing "extract all files" from the choice of folder tasks.

However, perhpas your question is just how to place the link itself? Tina gave the answer, above. Let me expand it. Suppose that your music has been placed in a ZIP file called nicholasmusic.zip and has been uploaded into the same location as the web page that will have the link.

You can write this into your web page. It goes in the body of the web page, along with your other information. It might be useful to have the link in its own paragraph. In that case, the HTML coding might look like this:

<p>Download a ZIP file containing my music <a href="nicholasmusic.zip">HERE</a>.</p>

If you can upload the MIDI directly, without using a ZIP fie, you can do something else. Suppose that a song is nicksong.mid and you can upload it to the same location as the web page. Then you might use:

<p>Here is a <a href="niscksong.mid">MIDI music file</a> of my great composition.</p>

The difference between using ZIP and MIDI is that the ZIP won't play, it can only be downloaded (then unzipped and played). The MIDI can usually be played directly, or downloaded and played.

Everything is case-sensitive. Some systems, particularly those of the Windows 95 era, are in the bad habit of changing the case of filenames when the files are moved around. So a file might start its life as myfile.mid but end up as Myfile.mid or even Myfile.MID when it gets uploaded. That's bad news, because the link must exactly match the file name.

I will give you a tip: Avoid using overly-large text, and avoid using hard-to-read text versus background color combinations.

Reply #6
=D Thank you.