Skip to main content
Topic: NWC Formatting (Read 2340 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC Formatting

Hey everyone, this is my first time in this, or any forum, hope I am doing it right! 

I was wondering, in my hymnal, the soprano and alto parts are printed on one treble cleff staff. Same with the tenor and base. NWC splits these into 4 separate staffs. In the hymnal song I am trying to work with, at the refrain the soprano part initially rests and then responds to the alto part. Same with the tenor and base parts (rest then respond) I have tried to write this song using two staffs but NWC will not allow me to put the rests and notes on the same staff for alto and soprano parts.  Is there any way I can get around this or am I resigned to using four staffs?
Thank you for any help.

J.J.

Re: NWC Formatting

Reply #1
You can use 4 staffs, and layer the first and third staffs over top of the second and fourth ones.  You would have to adjust the vertical positions of rests to avoid over-writes and you'll probably want all the note stems pointing up on staffs 1 and 3 and down on 2 and 4.

You can do it with just two staffs, using chords.  Check the help menu for chord member command for the rules.  NWC will allow rests to be part of chords, but the rest has to be placed first, and must be smaller than the notes added to it.  It's probably a lot less work to use layered staffs.

A third alternative is to use text entries to insert rest signs in the bar.  You would need to instal one of the fonts from the Scriptorium http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html.  I suggest using NWCExtraOrnaments v3, which is shown as nworn3.zip in the Scriptorium.  Other userfonts will have them too, but I can't tell you which ones off the top of my head.