Skip to main content
Topic: Pan Flute (Read 2522 times) previous topic - next topic

Pan Flute

One question, i wount make a piece with a pan flute.I don't know on which line i do the notation because this program sounds normal when i do my notation above the staff and so i do need to much lines above the staff.Do i need to transpose one octave lower so the player must play one octave higher? Thank you.

Re: Pan Flute

Reply #1
I'm not sure I understand your question, Bertje, but maybe this will help?

If you want to know whether to write above the staff or not, I think it depends on what the typical pan flute player is used to reading.  If it is normal to see the music written in the leger lines, then you should do that. Otherwise, you can write within the staff and include an 8va instruction (just insert text that says 8va).

It may be easier for you to write the music in the staff first, then move it up.  Use Tools, Transpose, and transpose 12 semitones up - or highlight the notes, and using ctrl-shift-arrow, move them up an octave.

You can set the staff properties to have NWC play back any number of semitones above or below the written pitch.

Reply #2
Thank you very much

Reply #3
Hi Bertje:  In addition to what David says you can also hi-lite the clef sign, right click, go to properties and then put in an octave shift up.  Adding a text instruction is still a good idea.

Pete P.

Reply #4
You're welcome, Bertje,and thank you Pete.

It occurs to me that when I wrote

"If you want to know whether to write above the staff or not, I think it depends on what the typical pan flute player is used to reading. If it is normal to see the music written in the leger lines, then you should do that"

I didn't explain why.  It's just that your printed music should be as easy on the person who has to read it as possible - if they are accustomed to leger lines, fine, but if they seldom encounter them, I'd suggest avoiding them.

Let them focus on making good music, rather than struggling with identifying notes they seldom encounter.