Skip to main content
Topic: Bar (Read 2409 times) previous topic - next topic

Bar

Hello,

I am not familiar with this bar, what kind of bar is it, and why they put it in front. What is the function of it.

Thank you,

Frank

Re: Bar

Reply #1
It’s a repeat sign. They occur in pairs. There will be one facing the opposite direction at the end of the section to be repeated. For this song I expect it near to the end or at the end, unless there is a little special ending of additional music to finish. 

Reply #2
That is a repeat bar (open). It should have a matching repeat bar (close) with the dots on the opposite side later in the piece, or at the end. If you want to put one in NWC looking just like that, use Local Repeats. I think more modern notation uses repeat bars with one heavy, one light bar. These are in NWC as Master Repeats. In either case when playing it means ignore the "open" until you encounter the "close." Then go back to the "open" and play that section again. When you hit the "close" a second time, go on (unless you are at the end). Note: sometimes the "open" is missing. Then, when you hit the "close" go back to the beginning. Although if the piece has no "open" I think NWC would want one anyway, but you could hide it. (Note: SEBC just answered also.)

Reply #3
Thanks very much to all of you. Yes I understand now, I see there is a pair of it near the end ;D .

Frank

Reply #4
Note: sometimes the "open" is missing. Then, when you hit the "close" go back to the beginning. Although if the piece has no "open" I think NWC would want one anyway, but you could hide it.
Nope.
NWC assumes "repeat from the beginning" or "from the latest section open or close" with the master repeat.
Always "from the beginning" for the local repeat, unless there is a "master repeat open", in which case no repeat at all.

I know because I just notated some ancient scores often with mismatched repeats.  >:(