Skip to main content
Topic: Number note (Read 3386 times) previous topic - next topic

Number note

Hello,

What is the easiest way to make a number note,, see attached, I know we type it as a lyric word, e.g: 1(do) with delay, we can type it as l ( lower case) and beside is dot., but for 1(do) with the valuse of 1/8, w/16. How can we make it. Also for 4 for sharp and 5 for flat, how can we make it, there is no character(alphabet) that way.

Thank you,

Frank

Re: Number note

Reply #1
Hi Frank,

If you want the numbers in the lyric line, I don't think you can add the dashes and dots.
But a few years ago I wrote this user tool:
Number Notation Tool

It creates a separate staff with the number notation. The result doesn't look readable in edit mode so you have to switch to view mode or do a print preview to see the result.
You can choose 'Help' in the dialog box to see how it works and what it does. But if you have any problems or questions, don't hesitate to communicate them.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #2
Number Notation Tool

It creates a separate staff with the number notation. The result doesn't look readable in edit mode so you have to switch to view mode or do a print preview to see the result.
You can choose 'Help' in the dialog box to see how it works and what it does. But if you have any problems or questions, don't hesitate to communicate them.

Hi Opagust,

How can I use it, because I tried to go to User tool, there is no menu for number user tool.

Thank you,

Frank

Reply #3

Hi Opagust,

How can I use it, because I tried to go to User tool, there is no menu for number user tool.

Thank you,

Frank

Hi Frank,

You will have to download and install the tool first. The simplest way to do this:
- Start NWC and open a song file.
- Then go to
'Number Notation Tool'
and download the attached file 'NoteNumbers.og.lua'
- Drag and drop the downloaded file onto your NWC window
- You'll get a popup where you can confirm
- Then The 'User Tool' window appears, where you can see the tool in the right column
- Click 'Run' to execute it.
From now on, it will be permanently present in the User Tool window, which you can open with 'Tools/User Tool...' or Alt+F8

Reply #4
Thank you Opagust, I already installed it, then the next step, I need more explanation on how to key in the number, expecially if the note is slured or tied.

Thank you

Frank

Reply #5
Thank you Opagust, I already installed it, then the next step, I need more explanation on how to key in the number, expecially if the note is slured or tied.

Thank you

Frank
You don't have to key in the numbers yourself. Just position your cursor on the staff for which you want to have numbers, then select 'Tools/User Tools...', select the tool 'NoteNumbers.og' and press Run.
You will see a dialog box, with two choises: 'Insert note numbers' or Help.

I suggest that you choose 'Help' the first time and you will see a window with explanation how the tool works.

If you choose 'Insert note numebers, you'll have to choose two other options. After running the tool, a new 'number staff' will be created. Choose 'Viewer mode' or 'Print review' to see how it will look like on your printed score.

Reply #6
TIf you choose 'Insert note numebers, you'll have to choose two other options. After running the tool, a new 'number staff' will be created. Choose 'Viewer mode' or 'Print review' to see how it will look like on your printed score.

It didn't work for me because the error code as in the attached. Is it because the file name is wrong?

Thank you
Frank

Reply #7

It didn't work for me because the error code as in the attached. Is it because the file name is wrong?

Thank you
Frank

I think you have an older version of NWC, where text items such as the staff name are stored in a different way, which caused this error when trying to change it.
So I made some changes to deal with both methods.
You can download the new version here
I couldn't test this changes myself, since with my version of NWC is newer, so I hope the problem is solved now.

Gust

Reply #8

Thank you
Frank

I think you have an older version of NWC, where text items such as the staff name are stored in a different way, which caused this error when trying to change it.

Thank you Gust for your new file that I can download. My version is 2.75a.2. Was it old?. Actually now it works for me but my question are as follows:
1. Why there is a words that says " Visibilty is Alwasy" it hides the number notes (see attached)
2. I already chose not to hide the original staff, but it still hides. How can we make it  to place exacty at the top of the staff, and all the non number notes are shown exactly below the number note, so when we play it it still can see the non number notes are highlighted.
3. How can I change the command path not from the "C\Situmorang\documen\download\thename of your file

Thank you
Frank

Reply #9

Thank you Gust for your new file that I can download. My version is 2.75a.2. Was it old?. Actually now it works for me but my question are as follows:
1. Why there is a words that says " Visibilty is Alwasy" it hides the number notes (see attached)
2. I already chose not to hide the original staff, but it still hides. How can we make it  to place exacty at the top of the staff, and all the non number notes are shown exactly below the number note, so when we play it it still can see the non number notes are highlighted.
3. How can I change the command path not from the "C\Situmorang\documen\download\thename of your file

Thank you
Frank

Hi Frank
1. About the 'Visibility Always' words: that's weird, I can't imagine where they come from. Maybe you can send me the file? I will give you my email address in a personal message.
2. Is the original staff really hidden?. By running the tool the lyrics are placed above the staff so maybe that's why it seems that the staff is hidden.
3. In the window from 'Tools/User Tools', there is a button 'Edit...'. When you press it you can change the command.

Reply #10
Hi Gust,

I do not understand, I tried in the 2nd song, and the third, there is no more additional texts hiding the notes, but it still hides the normal note and it's staff.

The 2nd problem, it works only in the first staf, of we run again the 2nd staff it won't work, it shows erro message like the attached.

Thank you

Frank

Reply #11
Hi Gust,

I do not understand, I tried in the 2nd song, and the third, there is no more additional texts hiding the notes, but it still hides the normal note and it's staff.

The 2nd problem, it works only in the first staf, of we run again the 2nd staff it won't work, it shows erro message like the attached.

Thank you

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for sending me your file.

- About the additional text: it seems to occur when there is a natural accidental. I investigated my code, but with base = '1=C', a natural accidental should be ignored.
And when I ran the tool myself on the same staff, there was no additional text.
- About the second problem: as I see on the attached image, you ran it on the second staff indeed, but that is the original first staff. The third staff should be the original second.
  If you had given your staves a label, you should see the same label in the first (number) staff and the second (originally first). The number staff is created from a copy of the original, with the notes being hidden. They are necessary to keep the numbers aligned with the original staff.
But it shouldn't give you this error. It seems to me you ran the old version of the tool. Did you download the new version? Or perhaps you have 2 versions in different folders?

Reply #12
Hi Gust,

Thank you

Frank

Hi Frank,

- About the additional text: it seems to occur when there is a natural accidental. I investigated my code, but with base = '1=C', a natural accidental should be ignored.
And when I ran the tool myself on the same staff, there was no additional text.
- About the second problem: as I see on the attached image, you ran it on the second staff indeed, but that is the original first staff. The third staff should be the original second.
  If you had given your staves a label, you should see the same label in the first (number) staff and the second (originally first). The number staff is created from a copy of the original, with the notes being hidden. They are necessary to keep the numbers aligned with the original staff.
But it shouldn't give you this error. It seems to me you ran the old version of the tool. Did you download the new version? Or perhaps you have 2 versions in different folders?

What do you mean bu giving a label  Gust.

Thank you.

Frank

Reply #13

What do you mean bu giving a label  Gust.

Thank you.

Frank
I mean a staff label (see attachment), which is printed at the start at the staff in every system. If you then run the tool, the new created number staff will show the same label.

Reply #14
Hi Gust,

Thank you

Frank

Hi Frank,

I want to try to search the file using windows explorer, however I need to know first, when I downloaded your file, usually it will go to C:/user/document/download folder, then when I drag it to Noteworthy windows, where did the file reside., so that I can edit the command path to it, then I delete all the result of the searching by explorer.

The 2nd problem as you see attached, the additional text is occured. I do not know the different text again. maybe if only one file is used, that won't happend?

Thank  you Gust, sorry I bother you so much.

Frank