Skip to main content
Topic: Muted notes (Read 2823 times) previous topic - next topic

Muted notes

In attempting to create a trill, I put in the trilled note and muted it. Then I followed it with the sounding notes with Visibility: Never. Unfortunately, the muted note still takes up time, as if it were a rest. Why would one want a muted note to take up time? Is it possible to show the muted note without taking up any time? I don't think there is an appropriate character to insert it as text. I know I could use an invisible sounding staff and a muted visible staff (I've done it often), but that seems like a lot of work for one note.

Re: Muted notes

Reply #1
I did come up with a work-around: Since the trilled note was a quarter note, I was able to delete the muted quarter note, and then make the first of the 8 thirty-second notes visible. The other 7 thirty-second notes and all the beams remained hidden The first 32nd note looks like a quarter note. That works for me in this case, but would not work if the trilled note was not a quarter note. Curiously, after I did this, in Viewer Mode (eyeglasses icon) the hidden notes took up no space, but in Print Preview mode, there was a big gap where the hidden noted were. I was able to get rid of that space by adding a spacer.

Reply #2
If you are using the current version of NWC, you can accomplish a trill much easier by using the Trill.ms custom object. This will both play the trill as well as draw the squiggly line above the note.

If you post a score snippet with the trill you created, I can show you what the equivalent would be using the Trill object.

Again, this assumes you are running NWC 2.75 or later.

Reply #3
I did come up with a work-around: Since the trilled note was a quarter note, I was able to delete the muted quarter note, and then make the first of the 8 thirty-second notes visible.
You might try these:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Instrument|Name:"Flute"|Patch:73|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:7
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace,Slur|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace,Slur|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1|Opts:Muted
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace,Slur|Pos:2^
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace,Slur|Pos:1^
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace,Slur|Pos:2^
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace,Slur|Pos:1^
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1|Opts:Muted
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Make the grace notes Visibility:Never. I left them visible so you can see what is going on.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Here is what worked for me.
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Text|Text:"tr"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:8
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Spacer|Width:50
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
I guess I've been out of nwc for a while. I follow the forum, but haven't yet used any user objects, and forgot about the trill object, which has been around for 4 YEARS!
When I try to put the object in my existing file (with all default properties) in front of a single quarter note, it draws 2 vertical rectangles, but plays ok. I had overridden the nwc font with Pardy's MusikDingsSerif font. Apparently, the "tr" glyph is not defined in that font. I switched it back to the default and the "tr" displayed correctly.
Rick, your solution seems to work well also, but the trill object is the best.

Reply #5
<snip>
When I try to put the object in my existing file (with all default properties) in front of a single quarter note, it draws 2 vertical rectangles, but plays ok. I had overridden the nwc font with Pardy's MusikDingsSerif font. Apparently, the "tr" glyph is not defined in that font. I switched it back to the default and the "tr" displayed correctly.
Rick, your solution seems to work well also, but the trill object is the best.
I guarantee that the trill symbol is in the current (as of late 2010) NWC2MusikDingsSerif.ttf.  It resides in the grave location in the file exactly the same as NWC2STDA.  The only thing I can think of is perhaps you have a V1.0 (2006) instead of V1.1 (2010) copy of the font.

Updates are available here:
http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au
Look for the NWC V2.5 System Font Update section in the table.

Also, thank you for using my fonts.  It is very gratifying that people still find them useful.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Lawrie, Thanks. I just finished refreshing those fonts and all is well.