Skip to main content
Topic: Inserting Section Numbers (Read 3234 times) previous topic - next topic

Inserting Section Numbers

I'm new here, so just one question - how do you get add in section numbers? There on the REPEATx.NWC samples, but I just can't find anything on them which controls them.
It is quite a small problem, but all help would be appreciated.

Re: Inserting Section Numbers

Reply #1
I think you're asking about rehearsal letters or numbers?

You can create rehearsal letters (boxed letters) with a user font called Boxmark2, available in the Scriptorium.

Download and install it, then go to NWC's File-PageSetup and go to the fonts tab. Change one of the user fonts to Boxmark2.  Now, whenever you need to make a rehearsal letter, enter it as text, upper text, and choose that font.

I find the best settings are to place the rehearsal letter immediately AFTER a double bar line, right justified, and "as staff signature."  Position 13 works well for height.

By placing the letter after the bar line, if the bar line is at the end of a line, the letter will show up at the beginning of the next line, which is where you want it.

While I am writing about rehearsal letters, rehearsal numbers can be done as plain numbers with brackets around them, in any font you like.  Use the same placement, but if you have bar numbering activated, your reader might not like to see two different types of numbers.

The bar numbering feature in NWC is nice while editing, but if you're printing multiple parts, it isn't the greatest tool unless all the parts have the same number of bars on each line.  Your leader will call "start at bar 92" and most members of the group will have to count forward from the number at the beginning of the line. It would be nice if the bar numbering were to be tweaked so it will print numbers at every measure, but that's one for the wish list, I think.

Reply #2
Maybe you mean the 1.. and 2.. symbols, and their meaning. And how do you insert them. If that's your question, then there is a symbol on the lowest toolbar, left of 4/4, 3/4 etc.
HTH
Rob.

Reply #3
The numerals with a period are special endings - that's a Noteworthy expression for the North American "first  ending,"  "second ending," etc.  I believe in England they are possibly called "first time measure", "second time measure", etc.

They can be inserted easily just by pressing "s" and choosing the one you want.

Reply #4
First time bar!

Reply #5
When I went to a bar for the first time, they served beer in glasses with "plimsoll" lines, so you always got full measure.

(In those days, beer was 15 or 25 cents a glass)

Reply #6
Exactly! A measure is what you buy when you are actually in a bar. Mine is either a pint of ordinary or a double whisky.