Skip to main content
Topic: fade? (Read 4470 times) previous topic - next topic

fade?

I'm new with NC. I was wondering how I could get my whole note to fade out?

Thanks for all help.

-[glow=green,2,2000]andydaman[/glow]

Re: fade?

Reply #1
In your "samples" folder, open the file "voltest". 

HTH.  Welcome to the NWC community.
Since 1998

Reply #2
I did, but I don't understand anything about all those tabs and counters and stuff.

-[glow=green,2,300]andydaman[/glow]

Reply #3
Which part didn't you understand?

How it works is you set a dynamic, in the first instance it is fff and override the velocity and volume settings.

OK, a couple of definitions:
Volume - literally how loud the staff (actually MIDI channel) is - just like the volume control on your keyboard or radio or home stereo etc.

Velocity - how strongle the note is commenced.  If you were using an electric piano it would be how hard you strike the keys.  If you're playing a wind instrument it would be how hard you tongue the note.

N.B. Volume and Velocity are DIFFERENT.  On a real piano, how hard you strike the key is directly related to the volume of the note you play, but this is MIDI we're talking about so how hard you strike the key gives a "loudness" result that is within the volume setting of the instrument - if you strike a note and teh turn the volume up then the note will get louder - can't do this on a real piano.

So, to continue - by overriding the channel (staff) volume settings on both dynamics (the fff and the ppp) you are actually instructing the MIDI synth to progressivley lower the volume.

Note that after the decresc. you should restore the channel volume with another dynamic with volume override or everything will be too quiet.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much here.  If you're still having problems post again and we'll try a different tack.

IIRC there are also other discussions and some directions on how to make this work.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.