Skip to main content
Topic: Vocal in 3/4, accompaniment in 9/8 (Moved from tips forum) (Read 2838 times) previous topic - next topic

Vocal in 3/4, accompaniment in 9/8 (Moved from tips forum)

I'm a novice at this but I am trying to work out a way of producing a score that looks and sounds right using different time signatures.  Specifically I have a vocal line written in 3/4 with an accompaniment in 9/8.  Please advise, in very simple language, how I can get it to look and sound right,

Chris
Welcome to the NoteWorthy community!

The short answer is you can't have two different time signatures like 3/4 and 9/8 in different staves--the whole thing has to be in 9/8.  However, you can have a staff look like 3/4 by following a visible 3/4 signature with a hidden 9/8.  The real (played but hidden) staff will contain the dotted quarter notes but the displayed/muted staff will have quarter notes followed by hidden 8th rests.  Other note lengths are illustrated in the file attached in the first post.

Also download and study the attached file on Peter Edward's first post to decide which method you want to use.  On mine, click the "open book" icon (or "Page Setup" from the File menu), choose the Contents tab and uncheck "Hidden" and click OK to see what the final product looks like.  To keep the accompaniment in 9/8, don't insert 3/4 and don't hide the 9/8.  The italics 3 and simile of course wouldn't be needed either.  You may have no need for a displayed/muted & hidden/played set of staves for the 9/8 parts.. WYSIWYH.

Edited change: The user tip (with attached files) referred to is here.
Since 1998

Re: Vocal in 3/4, accompaniment in 9/8 (Moved from tips forum)

Reply #1
Thanks for the information. I still can't quite see how you hide the time signature that is unwanted but I shall play with it for a while and see if I can resolve it.

Chris

Reply #2
You can hide anything (almost) by selecting it, pressing Cntl/E, and choosing the visibility tab (last one).  For "Show on Printed Page", choose "Never" and click OK.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Marvellous:thanks very much.

Chris

Reply #4
You're welcome.  Glad I could help.
Since 1998