Skip to main content
Topic: Bug in Audit Accidentals? (Read 4571 times) previous topic - next topic

Bug in Audit Accidentals?

After I audit accidentals & close the file, NWC2 asks if I want to save the changes, even though nothing changed!

Re: Bug in Audit Accidentals?

Reply #1
My guess is that since audit accidentals is a process that MIGHT have changed things, NWC is taking the conservative position of offering to save 'em "just in case".
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
All of NWC2's internal tools do this. Just changing the Tab in Page Setup and then canceling out will cause the same prompt as will any change followed by Ctrl+Z. IMO, this is more of an annoyance than a bug.

Tracking every routine that could modify the output might be a daunting task. OTOH, every change can be undone. (I remember when Staff Delete could not be undone). It might be a simple matter of checking to see if the Undo Buffer count is non-zero or Undo Levels has been exceeded.

I suppose a global File Save routine could compare what would be wriitten with a copy that was saved to a buffer when the file was opened.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
I suspect I'm not the only one who has lost work and is grateful for the protection this prompt offers.  It might be annoying to have to click it a time or two, but it beats the heck out of accidentally losing work (and perhaps the musical thought too) that you forgot to save.

Reply #4
I don't have any problem being prompted to save work, when there's actually something to save. But asking just because there "might" be something to save is evidence of poor design. The application knows (or should know) whether there's something to save, and shouldn't bother the user with pointless questions. Besides, with a large score, it can be difficult to tell if anything really has changed, so I usually answer "yes" to be safe; if I saved a file that didn't need saving, I use unecessary bandwidth & time uploading an unchanged file to our Web site.

Reply #5
if I saved a file that didn't need saving, I use unecessary bandwidth & time uploading an unchanged file to our Web site.
You might press Alt+E and look at Undo. If it is greyed out, chances are very good that nothing has been changed. Of course, if you exceed the maximum undo levels and back out of all the existing undo levels, Undo will greyed out. But if you have made that many changes, it is probably best to save.

I agree that the prompts are excessive and that a better check should be made.

Reply #6
Undo will be active for commands such as this one, even if no actual changes were made by NWC. Currently, NWC errors on the side of caution when you execute a command. If the command could have changed the notation, it treats the situation as if the command definitely changed the notation. It does not bother to check.

It is true that NWC could be made to detect these situations where a command has the possibility of not actually introducing any changes into the notation. We will give this further consideration.

Reply #7
Undo will be active for commands such as this one, even if no actual changes were made by NWC.
True. My suggestion won't work when Audit Accidentals is run.  But just pulling up Page Setup and moving from, say Setup to Fonts will cause the 'Save File?' prompt. Looking at Undo will show that no change has been made.

Reply #8
This is related to the little irritation I pointed out here.