Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI mapper (Read 6020 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI mapper

Running NWC under Windows95 for several years I have used Microsoft's MIDI Mapper to direct the output from different staves, on different MIDI channels, to the required external instruments or internal sound card.

I would appreciate some help to achieve a similar result under Windows XP.

Re: MIDI mapper

Reply #1
I think I read somewhere quite a while ago that MidiMapper hasn't been part of Windows since Windows 95.

As long as each staff is set to a separate channel I think you can just save the Noteworthy file as a midi type 1 file.

You can set the properties for the active staff by pressing F2.

Reply #2
The MIDI Mapper is still listed by name in NWC. In Windows XP, the MIDI Mapper exists, but behind the scenes. If you select the MIDI Mapper (and only the MIDI Mapper), you can configure it in Windows XP by going to the Control Panel's Sounds and Multimedia applet. The Audio tab includes controls for the MIDI playback that would be used by the MIDI Mapper as referenced by NWC.

Reply #3
I am not making much progress with this problem and I need the functionality on my Windows XP machine so that I can retire my ailing Windows 95 machine.

I have a Yamaha UX16 USB-MIDI interface which does allow me to input music from an external MIDI device but playback is still not working as I need it. I have NoteWorthy Composer -> Tools -> Options -> Midi "Devices used by play back" set to Microsoft MIDI Mapper.

Using Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio -> MIDI music playback "Default Device" I can direct ALL channels to either the internal sound card or the external device (although I have to restart NoteWorthy Composer to respond to any change).

Nowhere can I find the MIDI mapper facility that I relied upon in Windows 95, viz to map MIDI channels to output devices. In particular I need to redirect just ONE channel to the external device and play the remaining channels on the sound card. Incidentally it was NOT necessary to restart NoteWorthy Composer to respond to a change in the mapping.

If the XP version of Microsoft MIDI mapper does not do this any more, is there an alternative that does - and works with NoteWorthy Composer/Player?

Reply #4
You can achieve the old mapping functionality directly within NWC by adding multiple devices for play back from Tools, Options. You can select the appropriate device for a staff using Staff Properties.

Reply #5
Thanks for that useful tip. However, I don't think it meets my main requirement for two reasons: firstly, it does not seem to apply to NoteWorthy Player and secondly, even if it does work with Player, it is a much less elegant and more error-prone mechanism than the external mapping that I had with Windows 95.

To explain, I use a batch file to invoke NoteWorthy Player several times, playing a sequence of four-part songs to make an audio recording. The external MIDI mapper enabled me, for each of four recordings, to direct one of the four parts to a separate MIDI instrument and thence to the left channel of a stereo recording, everything else going to the right. Between recordings, I needed only to change the external mapping; the whole sequence then plays with a different part highlighted.

Reply #6
i don't think the win2k and winxp midi mapper supports what you want

i use midiox, maybe this will work for you

Reply #7
Indeed it does; many thanks.