Skip to main content
Topic: Triplets (Read 4129 times) previous topic - next topic

Triplets

I seem to have trouble with importing a midi file containing triplets, no matter what attributes I had chosen for my "Import Wizard".
from what I've managed to see here, I asume NWC still doesn't support it ... ( am I right ? )
anyway, my question is :
How can I mark notes of more then one whole bar in order to change them all to triplets ?
( because when I mark notes of more then one bar, even if they are equal and the "math" is OK, the Triplet toolbar isn't lightened )
and' p.s.
please don't be offended by my horrible spelling, I'm not an English native speaker and I'm much too lazy to pick up a dictionary ...

Re: Triplets

Reply #1
No, NWC can't cope with importing triplets from MIDI files. It's something many of us have been whinging about for some time. Please add your weight to the wish list!

RObin

Reply #2
I think it's rather unusual to have a triplet crossing from one bar to another; not sure I've ever seen it.

On another note, your English is fine.

Reply #3
David,
I think he means he would like to select a number of measures - click a button and convert the imported triplets to notated triplets in all measures.

Reply #4
yes Barry, this is what I ment.

I see the reason why they desided I can not mark several notes of different length and change them all to a one kind of length (even though I do wish there was a swich button - the same principle like the "Persistent Note tools" that would alow me to do that ), but still, I keep rolling in my head for a "musical-rule" reason why I can't do the thing with Triplets - and I can't find any .
is there something about it ?

Reply #5
In the days of Windows 3x we used to be able to use the Windows macro recorder to convert note combinations to triplets.
Unfortunately Windows didn't include that with Win 95.
I think you can download a copy from the Scriptorium along with some macros created by NWC users - but I dont know whether it works with later Win versions.
It does with Win 98 on my system.

Reply #6
No indeed there isn't. You can select a range of music and change its time value to half by pressing "-", but sadly this does not extend to tripletizing.

But if you do select just a bar then you can tripletize it. Unfortunately the triplet sign will span the whole bar regardless of the notes that actually make up the musical phrase.

Reply #7
Marco Recorder works with XP excluding the mouse - the keyboard steps work just fine.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #8
If I understand correctly, you want triplets to cross bar lines. This works rather simple if you just want to play the music, and not print the score: leave the bar line out.
The midi timing will be the same as long as you stick to the required number of notes per bar. After the triplets you can insert new bar lines. Keep in mind that when you have the playback start for example 2 measures back, NWC will take the 'double bar' as one bar and start playing 3 measures back.
Hope this helps.

Reply #9
Thanks Peter ( Reply 6 ).
the thing with the "-" is very helpfull.
I didn't know this.
it isn't in the shortcuts menu - how did you find it ?

and no Marcel ( Reply 8 ).
I didn't mean to cross one triplets bitween two bars.

Reply #10
Add my name to the Triplet wish list.  As it stands now, importing triplets in midi simply doesn't work reliably( if at all). Worse then that, if you notate a triplet in NWC, save it as midi, and ADD measures(Bars) to the end of the midi in another program, the original triplets are gone!
Other programs have solved this problem, so I know it can be done.  Please NWC, find a way to work this out. Thanks