Skip to main content
Topic: Organ Pedal (Read 5785 times) previous topic - next topic

Organ Pedal

Hi Friends,
Compliments of the season to you all. Please, how can I get a realistic organ pedal sound? I have tried some options but none sounds satisfactory yet. I will appreciate your suggestions.

Re: Organ Pedal

Reply #2
The above reply may seem facetious, but it is not.

The when you play music from NWC (or from MIDI), the sound you get depends on the digital instruments of your sound card (or of your software synth, if that is what you use).

If you don't like the organ pedal sound, it may be that your sound card (synth) doesn't have a good sound there. If so, then there's not much NWC can do, since it's not caused by NWC - BUT you can change the instrument from organ to something else. It may well be the case that some odd instrument (bassoon?) sounds more like "organ pedal" than does organ.

Reply #3
I use an extra staff with a duplicate part, but sounding one octave lower.
On my soundcard, it works quite well.

Reply #4
Actually I was being serious.  The main reason is that
the organ patches on my system have a very slow attack
on the lowest notes.  The bassoon has a quick and clear
attack and keeps the bass-line distinct.  On most organs
there are a variety of sounds available to the player.
I think on most pipe organs there are pipes that simulate
the sounds of woodwinds, brass, and strings.  I guess
there is no single "correct" organ sound.

Reply #5
The pedal register on the organ is used for the bass notes produced by the largest pipes. When the term 'pedal' appears in the score you'll have to go one,two or even three octaves below the notation on the score to simulate 8',16'or 32' pipes. The 32' is generally not available on non-European organs.

One octave down is the one  you'll use most.  The easiest way to do this in NWC is to activate the bass line, press <insert> <clef> choose the bass clef and press <octave down>. This inserts the bass clef with a small 8 underneath it into your score. In this way you retain the notation as it is on the score you use but it will sound one octave lower.

Jan

Reply #6
Jan's method of making the organ sound an octave below what is written is correct, but often there is no "8" on the bass clef although there may be for the tenor part written on a treble clef.  To do the same thing without the "8", select "Tools" then "Transpose".  Transpose down by 12 semitones w/o Playback Transposition.

If you need to transpose by two octaves you will need both methods.
Since 1998

Reply #7
If you need to transpose by two octaves you will need both methods.
What about just using -24?

Reply #8
It only has a range of -12 to +12 semitones.
Since 1998

Reply #9
It only has a range of -12 to +12 semitones.
_Staff
Staff _Properties...
(or F2)
Midi tab
_Transposition
I can put -24 here.  Can't you?  Did I get the bonus version?

Reply #11
Why?

Reply #12
Doesn't +/- mean the same as ±?
Or is that one of those things that not everyone can see on their screens?

Reply #13
Answer to original question - Best of all, buy a second hand SoundBlaster Live 1024 soundcard off e-bay and install it, then download the JEUX Soundfont (Google will find it for you) - and play real organ music.  You'll never ever want to use Church Organ patch 19 again!