Skip to main content
Topic: Save me hours please :) (Read 3982 times) previous topic - next topic

Save me hours please :)

NoteWorthy has great music fonts, and the scores are wonderful - and the interface is the best; the midi import is super... etc.

BUT.

It would save me hours (and I mean about 5 hours per orchestral or big band piece) if NoteWorthy could incorporate split tracks and automatic bar numbering. The splitting tracks thing was discussed on a couple of other threads I see, but by bar numbering I mean if only I could click an option to get Noteworthy to go through a staff, and if it finds more than 4 empty bars in a sequence then do the numbering thing automatically. (perhaps only on the printout - not the editor because it would stuff the editor)

e.g.
|....|....|....|....|
changed to:
|--4--|

Can you see what I mean? I'm looking for software that can particularly do these things. Any software that can do that would be worth ten grand a year to me.
Noteworthy uses a good system that I think could incorporate these features easily.

Help me if you can. :)

Thanks.
Dem

Re: Save me hours please :)

Reply #1
They are called compressed rests, and it has been discussed. I just make all the rests into one, and use a modified text to add the number of bars rest at the top of the stave. A little time consuming, but better than seperate parts having 22 seperate bars rest. If you want a program that compresses rests, try Encore. It's only about $450 Aus (and hard to use), but what's $450 if you can save $10000 :-) (I'll stick with Noteworthy)
Adam

Reply #2
Dem has a point tho' - if you contrive a compressed rest in the manner Adam suggests, the automatic bar numbering goes out of sequence and can no longer be used. Next version perhaps? (It's already on my wish list!)

Reply #3
Dem-

I agree wholeheartedly with your point. I have also put multi-measure rest groupings on my wish list with Noteworthy Artware. As a high school band director, I have used a couple of different notation programs, and frankly, Noteworthy Composer is the easiest to use. However, the trade off to ease of use is the loss of some features. If you are making that amount of money from your arrangements and compositions, then you should consider getting a higher powered program, as Adam Bodkin suggested. Another good program is Finale by Coda software. Academic price is $250 and retail is quite a bit higher. I have started to use this program, and it is rather complex, however, it offers the functions you are looking for.

Reply #4
You know how Noteworthy uses fonts to draw the notes, why can't they add a feature to change all crochets to stems with Xs for drum tracks. Surely you guys could use that feature too...

It's just that because I like Noteworthy so much, I think they are doing themselves a disservice by not adding some of these features. But in time they probably might...

Reply #5
I guess it is because of the fact that if 'ONCU' wants a feature in Noteworthy, it is usually only a matter of time before they get it. We really are a bunch of spoilt brats, aren't we. :-)
Adam

Reply #6
Does ONCU mean:
(something) Noteworthy Composer Users
?

Reply #7
Online Noteworthy Composer Users, I think

Reply #8
you mean
if the features don't come out in next version we be very angry because the squeky wheel get the oil

Reply #9
what's that oil & wheel story ? A good old pionnier time reminiscence ??

Reply #10
I call these "long rests".  To solve the numbering problem, I simply enter the desired measure numbers myself as text.  Most ensemble music numbers the measures that are at the beginning of phrases, so the automatic NWC numbering at the beginning of each line doesn't work for me anyway.

If you truly want them to look 'real', put two whole rests in a row (without a bar line between them) and then edit it later in an editing program.

Hope this helps.

Reply #11
Dan, there have been improvements since the message you replied to.

Enter the bars as whole rests with bar lines.  Highlight them all and make them hidden (Ctrl-E, Visibility, Never)

Make sure you have Boxmark2 installed as a UserFont.  Enter the following text at an appropriate spot within the hidden bars
[ n ]
where n is a numeral.

You'll get a multibar rest sign which is not perfect but perfectly understandable, and the measure count is preserved.

You may want to fiddle a bit with preserving width and justifying the text left right or centre, and maybe pad is out with a few blanks (space bar).

Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, I wonder where the birdies is?