Skip to main content
Topic: Beam selected notes (Read 3216 times) previous topic - next topic

Beam selected notes

Let's say I have a small sequence of a simple eight-note chord (c1, e1) and let's also say that I want the e1-stems to go upwards while and, at the same time, the c1-stems to go downwards. So far, this is not a problem. Now, if I want to beam this sequence of eight notes, then I get a beam either for the upward stems or the downward stems, but never both of them. Why is this impossible? Is it intended that I use (for example) a SATB-template - a solution that requires me to use "Never show" option for pauses, etc.? This is a very irritating problem and I would be very happy to get rid of it. Kind regards.

Re: Beam selected notes

Reply #1
AFAIK you can only beam one set of chord elements.  The workaround is to use layered staffs.

Reply #2
This is a bug (or, feature that doesn't work the way we'd like it to work), and has been discovered before. I suspect that NWC will get around to changing it, whenever.

The work-around, as David wrote, is to use staff layering. Place the beamed upstem notes on one staff, and place the beamed down-stem notes on a parallel staff. For alignment, you will need to fill the parallel staff with something like invisible rests.

If your application is SATB music (that's why I use NWC), you will find that even if you don't need to use it, staff layering allows more direct control over individual voices when they are in "moving" parts. That is, you can edit on staff without worrying about its effect on the other, then layer them later.

Reply #3
If I remember correctly, this very issue was one of the main factors that led to the development of staff layering, which was considered "experimental" for a couple releases before finally being made permanent somewhere in the V1.5x series.

With very few exceptions, I always use staff layering when there is more than one voice on any given staff. I think it's quite probable that the "chorded notes" option was retained merely to allow reverse compatibility with older files. For new files, the staff layering option gives vastly more flexibility and accuracy of representation.

Reply #4
I still think that you ought to be able to beam in both directions.  Obviously the same rules would apply, but it doesn't make sense that the notes with stems down get beamed and the stems up retain flags.  It would seem that the beaming command could look at the status of the stem up or stem down setting to determine which should be beamed (which would require two commands to beam in both directions) or make its best guess if stem-up/down isn't selected.

I'm not complaining, but it would make it a lot easier to write an 8 bar harmony part in the middle of the song, with the stems indicating which voice is which, without have to create a whole "shadow" staff for just those few measures.

Thanks,

John

Reply #5

Regarding #3,

Staff Layering had been an experimental feature during the public beta testing of v.1.70 and then was permanently aded to the program, IIRC.

The lack of dual direction beaming was what I had suffered as early as I was trying to typeset 4 part chorales (for harmony practice) in v.1.3x. It required a lot of time that I started exploring NWC again (v.1.5x). ;) Well, I was *that* type of a person those times. :)