Skip to main content
Topic: Coda changes Key Signature (Read 2264 times) previous topic - next topic

Coda changes Key Signature

When I insert a Coda, the insertion changes the following Key Signatures.  For example, four flats jump up a whole step and therefore make no sense.  Please help.  Thanks, Dick

Re: Coda changes Key Signature

Reply #1
I tried a short passage in Ab major, with "to coda" at the end of bar 3, a "d.c.al coda" at the end of bar 5 followed by a double bar line, and a "coda" at the beginning of bar 6.  I don't see any forced change.

I also tried starting in G major, with key changes at the beginning of bars 5 and 7.  I placed "to coda" at the end of bar 3, "DC al Coda" at the end of bar 5 and Coda at the beginning of bar 6, and didn't observe any forced key changes, either visually or audibly.

If you can explain the structure of your piece, including the placement of the various flow direction commands in relation to the placement of key signatures, the problem might be easier to replicate and solve.

Reply #2
I too failed to reproduce the behaviour, but did think that it might be tied up with a change of clef somewhere.

Reply #3
No, actually I think it is a real problem because that has happened to me because I once wrote a song where just a few of the tracks sounded in another key after the Coda but I never figured out why... and I don't think I changed the clef once...