Skip to main content
Topic: Help! (Read 5483 times) previous topic - next topic

Help!

I've written a piece with a tempo of 60.
Most of the notes have ended up as sixteenth notes.
This makes it much more difficult to play.

How can I double ALL the note (and rest) values?
(in other words, how do I turn the sixteenths into eighth notes, and half-notes into full ones, etc?)

I'll then be able to change the tempo to 120 (which it should be) so that the piece will be right...

The piece is rather large so I need an easy solution.

Thankyou for ANY help.

Yours,
June.

Re: Help!

Reply #1
June,
one comment before a solution:
it's not because notes are sixteenth at tempo 60 that they are harder to play than eighths at tempo 120. It's _exactly_ the same, though a psychologic effect *could* make it harder to appreciate.

Solution: first get the macro recorder (english version at http://noteworthy.beyondtheweb.com/ftp/helpful/recorder.zip ), unzip it in your Windows directory (in 3 seconds).
Start NWC, open your NWC file, and put the cursor just before the first note you want to make "larger".
Start macro recorder, and click on Macro/Record... to create a macro. Call it "larger", record only keyboard, set the shortcut key to Alt+Right, and set to fast speed. Click on Start.
Switch back to NWC with the mouse, and do what you have to do in NWC to "increase" notes duration:
Shift+Right       (this will select the note)
Minus          (this will change the note length)
Right          (this will unselect the note and be ready for further action)
Stop the recording by pressing Ctrl+Pause (or using the mouse to switch back to Macro recorder). Save the macro.
Now you got a macro to repeat your NWC action.
Go back to NWC, and press Alt+Right (or the shortcut key you gave to your macro). Keep Alt+Right pressed to see all your notes be correctly changed at lightning speed.

Et voilà! Now you just have to change your tempo.
/!\ Take care also to chords which have different lenghts in them: they won't be correctly changed (they will take the shorter duration of the chord, shifted larger once).

If you find this procedure too tedious, I can send you the macro file along with the recorder (english or french, let me know). But I wanted to put the explanation (that I hope clear enough) for anyone on the forum.

HTH, please do not hesitate to contact me (madmarsu@musician.org), or to send me the file, I'll send it back to you in a 1-workday delay.

If you want more macros or details on it, go and visit http://noteworthy.beyondtheweb.com/helpful.html#Macros :-)

Marsu

Reply #2
Just one thing I've just been thinking about:
instead of working directly on your original staves, duplicate them and work on the duplicated ones. So you can easily see if the results are good or not, by visual comparison.
Alas, you won't be able to check by ear, since NWC doesn't allow (to my knowledge) 2 different tempi (one for original staves, one for enlarged ones).
And do not forget to change your time signature (or to use the AuditBarLines tool) too :-)
And while using the macro, do not care about text items, bars,... since they won't be affected. So keep the keys pressed until end or special case (chords of diff. notes durations)

Reply #3
oh dear. It sort of worked. I recorded a macro just like you said but I got some weird results. For example, I got several 64th rests appear out of nowhere, and some bar lines went missing (and I think some of the rest values got doubled as well or something?) Thank you for your offer to work on the piece for me but I think I will leave it for a while. I don't think Noteworthy was designed for the recorder thing as when the macro got to the end of the staff the buttons went crazy. I also found that doing "audit bar lines" makes the staff go crazy after the macro. Maybe if there was a tool to remove the bar lines first it would work? I think I will just stick to the piano music. Unless there is some other trick?

Yours,
June.

Reply #4
June:
the 64th rests come from "whole" rests "enlarged". As no larger value than the whole exist, it cycles to 64th. (hence the "button went crazy" phenomenon at the end, if you keep the shorcut key pressed.)

If you got whole notes/rests, you must duplicate them instead of using the macro.

If you're not too anxious about it, the macro recorder (yes, again) can help you to remove bar lines.
One thing to keep in mind in that the macro recorder just do what you'd do, but (much) quicker. It's absolutely not "intelligent".
The normal process to remove bar lines is:
1. go to end of staff
2. press Ctrl-Left
3. press BackSpace (not Delete!)

repeat 2. and 3. (you may repeat 1. too at will) until you got no more bar line.
So it is a perfect candidate for macro recorder: just record the 2. and 3. steps, and play it again.

I do NOT recommend to enable the auto-repeat feature of recorder. it may be very dangerous, especially when doing destructive work. Anyway, first NWC has a 100th level undo capability, and 2nd as long as you have not saved, you can revert to your work.

The "audit bar lines" should work perfectly, if no whole is badly transformed into 64th.

If anything does not go well in your work process (NWC+macroRecorder), NWC is NOT the cause. First check what your macro does (on the scripto, look for RecEdit, it allows you to "edit" the macros, a thing that recorder can't do).
In most of cases, writing down the keys you type explains the strange processes.

Hope this helps 2,

MAD (MacroRecorder Addicted Dominique?) aka Marsu

Reply #5
I successfully fixed my piece.

Could noteworthy add another feature
or
make it so that breve notes are changed
to two breves notes when the note value
is doubled using "-" (same for rests)

Just a thought...

Reply #6
Happy you fixed it :-)
btw, you can add your wish to the wishlist (https://noteworthycomposer.com/composer/wishlist.htm)..)
Personally, I'll wish that whole became "ronde carree", which value is two whole notes, something that looks like |o| or |=| , often used in old music (I'm willing to write Allegri's Miserere and some other plain-chant music).

Reply #8
Just a small BTW.

A whole note is a semibreve in English English, and your ronde carrée would then be the same as the English breve, but what is the US equivalent?

Or am I the one who's mixed up?

Peter

Reply #9
But no mention of the US English term for a breve. perhaps that's why NWC doesn't have it - because it doesn't have a name!

Reply #11
Come on, Eric, I was only teasing, so there's no need to retreat into your shell!
But what is the breve called in your neck of tyhe woods?

Actually that does lead me on to an apalling suggestion. In Victorian England there was a novel entitled 'Eric'. I am quite sure it is no longer read, and have no idea what it might be about, but in England the subtitle is still universally quoted: 'or Little by Little'!

May Jove hurl his thunderbolts, I don't mean it! Honest!!

Thanks for a great product, but please incorporate all our wishes in the next release!

Peter

Reply #12
All our wishes, that's a bunch of work!!
Since one must filter out what would change the main aim of NWC, what is against other more-wished wishes, what is too much work for too simple feature, and so on.
Though I'm not too bad in programming, I wouldn't be in Eric's place to have to choose between all these wishes :-) !
But I'd like to be in his place to receive the congrats for such a wonderful program ;-)

Brgds,
    NWCly yours,
                            Dominique

Reply #13
Late, sorry, but in U.S. English a breve is called a double whole note. Not very imaganative a translation for a word that mean "short", but there it is.

Cyril