Skip to main content
Topic: note heads with NO STEMS? (Read 2633 times) previous topic - next topic

note heads with NO STEMS?

Is there anyway to place quarter notes with no stems?

Re: note heads with NO STEMS?

Reply #1
No, but you can set the entire note to invisible, and then use a text entry from the Opus font to reproduce a note head.  Set it to align at the next note.

You can get the Opus font on the Scriptorium I think (unless I got it somewhere else and forgot the source)

I think one or two other fonts available there also have noteheads, but I don't have time to check just now.

Reply #2
Thanks for the hint.  I found an 'opus' font but it has no noteheads.  I looked in Scriptorium but found nothing there.  I did google to find a font with noteheads...great.
But, even though the text entries are 'locked' to the next note, some of the text entry noteheads keep scooting to the left.  They're just too close to the previous note even though things look quite nice in the insertion window.

Any help is appreciated.

Becci

Reply #3
Hidden items take up less space (yes, they do take up some space...) than visible items.
Compensate by padding with blank spaces, Preserve Width.

Reply #4
Sorry Opus didn't work for you.  It looked fine on my word processor, but I confirmed in NWC just now that it's not what you need.

Try the NWCV15 font, letter k.

Reply #5
This is something I sometimes want to do, so I just tried it, and it works fine. Simple.. should have thought of it, since I use a similar dodge to write tablature for stringed instruments.

If you set "expression placement" to "centre" and "at next note", it should print right where the invisible note is. It will be hard to see in the editing window, but check the print preview.